Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Australasian Touring Cars.

View Poll Results: Who will Win the 2014 SuperCheap Auto Bathurst 1000?
#1 Whincup/Dumbrell - Red Bull 888 HOLDEN 23 25.27%
#2 Tander/Luff - SP Tools HRT HOLDEN 4 4.40%
#4 Holdsworth/Baird - Erebus AMG 0 0%
#5 Winterbottom/Owen - Pepsi Max FPR FORD 9 9.89%
#6 Mostert/Morris - Pepsi Max FPR FORD 3 3.30%
#7 T.Kelly/Buncombe - Jack Daniels NisMo NISSAN 0 0%
#8 Bright/Jones - BOC BJR HOLDEN 2 2.20%
#9 W.Davison/A.Davison - Beko Erebus AMG 0 0%
#14 Coulthard/Youlden - Lockwood BJR HOLDEN 1 1.10%
#15 R.Kelly/Russell - Jack Daniels NisMo NISSAN 0 0%
#16 Pye/Walsh - Wilson Security DJR FORD 1 1.10%
#17 Wall/Johnson - Wilson Security DJR FORD 0 0%
#18 Perkins/Waters - JeldWen FPR FORD 0 0%
#19 TBC/TBC - Dragon GRM HOLDEN (SCRATCHED) 2 2.20%
#21 Wood/Pither - Advam BJR HOLDEN 0 0%
#22 Courtney/Murphy - SP Tools HRT HOLDEN 13 14.29%
#23 Ingall/Blanchard - OPS Gateway LDM HOLDEN 0 0%
#29 TBC/TBC - Dragon GRM HOLDEN (SCRATCHED) 1 1.10%
#33 McLaughlin/Premat - Valvoline GRM VOLVO 8 8.79%
#34 Dahlgren/Ritter - Valvoline GRM VOLVO 1 1.10%
#36 Caruso/Fiore - Norton NisMo NISSAN 0 0%
#47 Slade/D'Alberto - SuperCheap WP HOLDEN 1 1.10%
#55 Reynolds/Canto - Bottle O FPR FORD 1 1.10%
#97 Van Gisbergen/Webb - VIP Tekno HOLDEN 11 12.09%
#111 Heimgartner/Pedersen - Super Black FPR FORD 1 1.10%
#222 Percat/Gavin - HHA WP HOLDEN 0 0%
#360 Moffat/Douglas - Norton NisMo NISSAN 0 0%
#888 Lowndes/Richards - Red Bull 888 HOLDEN 9 9.89%
Voters: 91. You may not vote on this poll

Old 22 Oct 2014, 10:59 (Ref:3467352)   #726
bluesport
Veteran

Australia
bluesport User had had their licence endorsedbluesport User had had their licence endorsed
Quote:
Originally Posted by GTRMagic View Post
Locating the engines as far back as they are cant be helping either

Time for air starters?
How would they start the car out on the track after an incident?
Old 22 Oct 2014, 12:07 (Ref:3467362)   #727
Umai Naa
Veteran

Umai Naa should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridUmai Naa should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Blow in a tube?
Old 22 Oct 2014, 15:19 (Ref:3467413)   #728
FIRE
Race Official
Veteran

Netherlands
FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!
Old 22 Oct 2014, 20:01 (Ref:3467459)   #729
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
GTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by Umai Naa View Post
Blow in a tube?
From which end?

They could have an air bottle aboard presumably ..

Alternators seem quite weak, as discussed previously, so perhaps they need to step into the control parts area too

Surely nobody cares if the Bosch alternator model #12345 is used in a Ford, a Nissan or all of the above. But if it stops cars from failing to proceed... it could be a good thing ..

Back in the Sierra days, alternators were super fragile , not much liking going to. 8,000rpm and beyond every lap.. And putting up with super hot under bonnet temps... Somehow, that niggle seems to be back..
“Everybody Lies” - Dr Gregory House, House
“Trust But Verify” - Commissioner Frank Reagan, Blue Bloods
Old 22 Oct 2014, 22:21 (Ref:3467484)   #730
bluesport
Veteran

Australia
bluesport User had had their licence endorsedbluesport User had had their licence endorsed
Quote:
Blow in a tube?
Lol........I don't like their chances.
Old 22 Oct 2014, 22:26 (Ref:3467486)   #731
bluesport
Veteran

Australia
Quote:
From which end?

They could have an air bottle aboard presumably ..

Alternators seem quite weak, as discussed previously, so perhaps they need to step into the control parts area too

Surely nobody cares if the Bosch alternator model #12345 is used in a Ford, a Nissan or all of the above. But if it stops cars from failing to proceed... it could be a good thing ..

Back in the Sierra days, alternators were super fragile , not much liking going to. 8,000rpm and beyond every lap.. And putting up with super hot under bonnet temps... Somehow, that niggle seems to be back..
GTR........don't much like the idea of compressed air cylinders in a race car. I've heard stories of what damage scuba tanks do when they explode.
Old 23 Oct 2014, 00:42 (Ref:3467502)   #732
old fart
Racer

Australia
a racetrack -wish it was Mt Panorama.
old fart should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridold fart should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Blow in a tube?
Somebody has to say it so it may as well be me -a blow job...that will sort out the men from the boys ! sorry.
Old 23 Oct 2014, 01:47 (Ref:3467512)   #733
Umai Naa
Veteran

Umai Naa should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridUmai Naa should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Easy now, there are children that post on here.

Well at least I think they're children...
Old 23 Oct 2014, 01:57 (Ref:3467515)   #734
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
GTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluesport View Post
GTR........don't much like the idea of compressed air cylinders in a race car. I've heard stories of what damage scuba tanks do when they explode.
Totally agree with you... we have seen other gas bottles explode when they arent under the stresses and strains of g-forces from front, back & sides.

It would be difficult to cool a starter motor, as if you duct air in there, it will also duct water, road grime, rubber bits and other stuff that you might prefer not to be in there..

Can you liquid cool them? Water or oil.. and put a cooler out in the breeze and not the unit itself?
Old 23 Oct 2014, 02:15 (Ref:3467519)   #735
bluesport
Veteran

Australia
Quote:
Totally agree with you... we have seen other gas bottles explode when they arent under the stresses and strains of g-forces from front, back & sides.

It would be difficult to cool a starter motor, as if you duct air in there, it will also duct water, road grime, rubber bits and other stuff that you might prefer not to be in there..

Can you liquid cool them? Water or oil.. and put a cooler out in the breeze and not the unit itself?
That is if it is heat causing the problem?
Old 23 Oct 2014, 02:19 (Ref:3467521)   #736
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluesport View Post
That is if it is heat causing the problem?
Sure.. None of our friends in the media seem to have gone a'asking to understand the issue... so we are kinda guessing...

Be funny if AA and/or SpeedCafe write a story about it soon..
Old 23 Oct 2014, 02:25 (Ref:3467524)   #737
old fart
Racer

Australia
a racetrack -wish it was Mt Panorama.
old fart should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridold fart should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:

We all saw the graphic pictures of the damage to the Qantas plane when the compressed air cylinders decided to malfunction. The damage was more than enough to cause a major disaster only prevented by the extraordinary professionalism of the aircrew.

I have seen bottles go off in pitbays after falling or being knocked over(despite the requirements for proper tethering of same) and the valve knocked off-a lethal projectile to say the least thus something that probably shouldn't be located in a vehicle where damage to suspension, chassis, bodywork or driver is even a remote chance. Think about the carnage broken/exploding discs can cause and then multiply that many more times and you can envisage the result.
Old 23 Oct 2014, 03:22 (Ref:3467532)   #738
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
Anyome remember the bouncing fire extinguisher bomb in the Orrcon car?
Old 25 Oct 2014, 03:45 (Ref:3468151)   #739
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
Quote:
How passionate are the European MotorsTV Commentators Here

Did anyone notice that #7 replayed this clip on their GC broadcast?

Maybe we are providing content concepts for the whole world now
Old 25 Oct 2014, 04:08 (Ref:3468155)   #740
Reload
Veteran

Australia
Reload should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridReload should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Excitable little chaps.
Old 25 Oct 2014, 08:34 (Ref:3468209)   #741
pigs fly
Racer

Australia
327VOR 23DME BNE
pigs fly should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by old fart View Post
We all saw the graphic pictures of the damage to the Qantas plane when the compressed air cylinders decided to malfunction. The damage was more than enough to cause a major disaster only prevented by the extraordinary professionalism of the aircrew.

I have seen bottles go off in pitbays after falling or being knocked over(despite the requirements for proper tethering of same) and the valve knocked off-a lethal projectile to say the least thus something that probably shouldn't be located in a vehicle where damage to suspension, chassis, bodywork or driver is even a remote chance. Think about the carnage broken/exploding discs can cause and then multiply that many more times and you can envisage the result.
HAS anybody seen the MYTHBUSTERS programme on tv where a gas bottle has the valve knocked off and it goes sliding across the floor though two concrete walls, just image what will happen in a racecar.
Old 25 Oct 2014, 12:52 (Ref:3468289)   #742
Woolley
Race Official
Veteran

England
Wolverhampton, England
Woolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Maybe we are providing content concepts for the whole world now
I remember when we first got Bathurst coverage up here - onboard, remote controlled cameras and talking to the drivers during the race. We were blown away by that.
Old 25 Oct 2014, 13:09 (Ref:3468302)   #743
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
Quote:
Originally Posted by Woolley View Post
I remember when we first got Bathurst coverage up here - onboard, remote controlled cameras and talking to the drivers during the race. We were blown away by that.
So were we

I was surprised that #7 showed the clip after it was mentioned in the above post last week..
Old 26 Oct 2014, 00:05 (Ref:3468470)   #744
Woolley
Race Official
Veteran

England
Wolverhampton, England
Woolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Just watching the GC coverage now and getting nostalgic. This is the 10th meeting since I was there in 2005. Need to do this again somewhere.
Old 26 Oct 2014, 09:23 (Ref:3468621)   #745
Langers
Veteran

Langers should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Sure.. None of our friends in the media seem to have gone a'asking to understand the issue... so we are kinda guessing...

Be funny if AA and/or SpeedCafe write a story about it soon..
Mentioned in today's coverage that the solenoids on the standard starters (predominantly Tilton) are being made in a different part of the world after the Tsunami in Japan a few year ago. Seems old stock has run out, and the new parts aren't quite up to the job.

Perhaps 888 who seem to be free of these issues have used their in-house engineering capabilities to build a better one?
Old 23 Nov 2014, 02:35 (Ref:3477696)   #746
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
Interesting to watch V8Life this afternoon, about the WP efforts at Bathurst.

One thing unnoticed on the teev was the substitution of two crew members on the pitstop, with 2 HRT bods taking the place of 2 HHA guys on a pad change.

You saw them clearly on the stop in HRT/SP Tools firesuits , while the other blokes stated in the pits.

It has you wondering whether this is actually allowed. On the 'door' of each team's pit area is an A4 sheet of passport photos of the 7 people allocated/assigned to that car. In a 2 car team there are 2 sheets across that pair of motor cars

Seems odd that blokes allocated to cars 2 & 22 end up working on 222..

Wonder if Mr Dane noticed?
Old 23 Nov 2014, 06:10 (Ref:3477733)   #747
rich07
Veteran

Australia
Victoria
rich07 has a real shot at the podium!rich07 has a real shot at the podium!rich07 has a real shot at the podium!rich07 has a real shot at the podium!rich07 has a real shot at the podium!
Didn't know V8Life was still going? I caught the first couple of episodes but missed the rest.

Anyway of catching up with them online?
Old 23 Nov 2014, 07:29 (Ref:3477739)   #748
m00neelee
Rookie

m00neelee should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Interesting to watch V8Life this afternoon, about the WP efforts at Bathurst.

One thing unnoticed on the teev was the substitution of two crew members on the pitstop, with 2 HRT bods taking the place of 2 HHA guys on a pad change.

You saw them clearly on the stop in HRT/SP Tools firesuits , while the other blokes stated in the pits.

It has you wondering whether this is actually allowed. On the 'door' of each team's pit area is an A4 sheet of passport photos of the 7 people allocated/assigned to that car. In a 2 car team there are 2 sheets across that pair of motor cars

Seems odd that blokes allocated to cars 2 & 22 end up working on 222..

Wonder if Mr Dane noticed?
Nothing in the regs to say you can't swap pit crews. D12.2 just says max of 8 people, not much else.

I would guess that WR had 2 guys trained specifically to do pad changes, who were used across all the WR cars.
Either that or they re-assigned the 2 pit crew across the 3 other teams.
Old 25 Nov 2014, 01:03 (Ref:3478427)   #749
peckstar
Veteran

Cayman Islands
peckstar has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
I read that track work to fix the damaged surface at Griffins Bend will begin in early December