Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Australasian Touring Cars.

Old 28 Feb 2015, 23:04 (Ref:3510156)   #1
one five five
Veteran

one five five should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridone five five should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
A 'Future Goal' For V8Supercar??

This Press Release yesterday started a few thoughts running through my mind

http://www.speedcafe.com/2015/02/28/...-new-platform/

With V8SC getting involved with the running of the V8Utes, the previously rumoured/reported talk of V8SC buying the rights to Australian GT, and the general interest V8SC has with the contracting of support categories for the new Foxtel TV coverage.

My thoughts were what are their long term plans in all this of Archer and Mr Warburton? Never before in the past reign of Mr Cochrane did we see V8SC getting this involved in the running of support races.

Do V8Supercar have an ultimate goal of becoming their own ASN, totally seperated from CAMS (I know they deal with the FIA directly for the series, but they still use CAMS people at events) and any motorsport in Australia that happens outside of V8SC events? Might cause a few issues at the AGP though?

Are they developing their own NASCAR sort of ladder? Are they building a bunch of 'their' own support categories that only race at V8SC events (in the past few years TCM, Carrera Cup etc.. have raced at their own events)?

This is just some very different moves from Archer/Warburton in relation to their support race deals lately. This is a business so their interest in the support categories isn't out of the goodness of their heart, what is the end goal in all this, and is the new V8Ute deal just the start?
Old 28 Feb 2015, 23:21 (Ref:3510160)   #2
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
GTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
The thing to be noted here though is that the franchise owners in the Utes series currently own 100% of that series. Perhaps that may change in the future to make sure that V8SC has some hand in that operation.

Its a good initiative to expand the market.

Would also like the GT3 to join that show. Maybe later..
“Everybody Lies” - Dr Gregory House
Old 1 Mar 2015, 01:37 (Ref:3510186)   #3
D.R.T.
Veteran

D.R.T. should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridD.R.T. should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by GTRMagic View Post

Its a good initiative to expand the market.

Would also like the GT3 to join that show. Maybe later..
I hope not. Not sure where the added value to AGT comes from in such a situation
Old 1 Mar 2015, 02:15 (Ref:3510198)   #4
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
GTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by D.R.T. View Post
I hope not. Not sure where the added value to AGT comes from in such a situation
Build a franchise system, bring on series sponsors, give back to the patrons who fund massively out of their own pocket.
Old 1 Mar 2015, 02:31 (Ref:3510201)   #5
one five five
Veteran

one five five should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridone five five should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Build a franchise system, bring on series sponsors, give back to the patrons who fund massively out of their own pocket.
If you apply this thinking and include my theory in the opening post, it was also remove anyone competing in "V8Supercar" AusGT from competing in the Highlands 101, Phillip Island 101, and (whispering), Bathurst 12hr.

I doubt V8Supercars could get 'ownership' of the GT3 regulations though.
Old 1 Mar 2015, 05:27 (Ref:3510231)   #6
D.R.T.
Veteran

D.R.T. should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridD.R.T. should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
All of those things aren't exclusive to v8 management
Old 1 Mar 2015, 06:02 (Ref:3510239)   #7
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
Quote:
All of those things aren't exclusive to v8 management
You asked where the value add from V8SC was, and there it is. With a proven record across nearly 2 decades of competition.
Old 1 Mar 2015, 06:56 (Ref:3510244)   #8
D.R.T.
Veteran

If I was a team owner I would prefer a management team putting the category first - not an after thought to another category.

As I said not value add in the current environment, which is clearly why Quinn rejected the buy out proposal
Old 1 Mar 2015, 08:25 (Ref:3510278)   #9
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
Isnt the aim of a category manager to support the evolution & application of the sporting & technical regulations for a particular series of motorsport?

That said, one function of that space would certainly include ensuring that the series runs at events of significant standing, which generate spectator numbers and interest such that teams can sell commercial sponsorships to such events.

The big game in town is without a doubt V8SC.

That the V8Ute series appears at V8SC rounds exclusively suggests perhaps that the category manager, responsible as they are to the franchise holders of the holding company, sees an alignment to the V8SC events as being beneficial to both categories of the sport.

What is implied, if not expressed publicly, is that V8Utes is not likely to be a headline act of its own race meeting. There are likely opportunities to do yet the category manager, operating with the mandate from their shareholder owners, does not have this in place.

So.. if they are already aligned in all but ownership to V8SC, is not a contribution to category management and/or ownership not the next step on the evolutionary pattern?

Especially given that the new technical rules for UotF are still being fleshed out, and will now seemingly be done with the assistance and guidance of the experience of the V8SC management groups

If it quacks like a duck, if it walks like a duck.. is it a duck?
Old 1 Mar 2015, 08:30 (Ref:3510281)   #10
peckstar
Veteran

Cayman Islands
peckstar has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
its amusing that some people arguing against this are the same people who argue that v8s don't do enough for motorsport.

Archer must have some grand plans, I wonder what they truly are
Old 1 Mar 2015, 08:37 (Ref:3510286)   #11
D.R.T.
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by peckstar View Post

You mean like a sale?
Old 1 Mar 2015, 08:40 (Ref:3510290)   #12
one five five
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by peckstar View Post
its amusing that some people arguing against this are the same people who argue that v8s don't do enough for motorsport.

Thats the point of this thread

Are they trying to eventually operate on their own, with their own support categories, their own sanctioning etc.., outside of CAMS and the rest of Australian motorsport, inside their own world?
Old 1 Mar 2015, 08:41 (Ref:3510292)   #13
peckstar
Veteran

Cayman Islands
peckstar has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Quote:
You mean like a sale?
maybe, maybe not

thus the question, there is a reason they are trying to get involved with other categories which naturally includes making money somewhere
Old 1 Mar 2015, 08:43 (Ref:3510293)   #14
bortall
Racer

Australia
West Gippsland
bortall should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
With the utes only appearing at V8 events, who cares what goes on behind the scenes. For categories that still appear elsewhere I would hate to see them being restricted to v8sc.
Old 1 Mar 2015, 09:02 (Ref:3510311)   #15
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
Quote:
Originally Posted by one five five View Post
Thats the point of this thread

Are they trying to eventually operate on their own, with their own support categories, their own sanctioning etc.., outside of CAMS and the rest of Australian motorsport, inside their own world?
There has been little suggestion that V8SC wants to operate outside of CAMS... indeed the blokes & blokettes in the tower of power are supplied members of the CAMS brethren...
Old 1 Mar 2015, 14:45 (Ref:3510394)   #16
NaBUru38
Veteran

Uruguay
Las Canteras, Uruguay
NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by one five five View Post
As long as V8 wants FIA recongition, they can't do that.
Old 6 Mar 2015, 14:09 (Ref:3512492)   #17
Michael24
Rookie

Netherlands
Amersfoort, the Netherlands
Michael24 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Mmmmm, what if the whole 2017 non-V8 thing backfires, but you're stuck with contracts all over the place and no way out. Imagine you have this in reserve ... Noisy, spectacular ... Just what the doctor ordered.

"Nice planning, boss! You sure think ahead!"
Old 6 Mar 2015, 23:25 (Ref:3512616)   #18
TWRv12
Veteran

TWRv12 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridTWRv12 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Also probably about getting more control of the event racecard and the show, which ties into the tv deal