Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

View Poll Results: What score do you give it out of ten?
10 0 0%
9 1 1.72%
8 4 6.90%
7 12 20.69%
6 7 12.07%
5 18 31.03%
4 4 6.90%
3 6 10.34%
2 5 8.62%
1 1 1.72%
Voters: 58. You may not vote on this poll

Old 3 Jun 2015, 00:55 (Ref:3544381)   #51
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by wnut View Post
Glad you guys get what I am banging on about.

It is really frustrating that Bernie and his stooges can't just do what would be best for the sport and sort the formula's ability to race out.

Monaco is a good event for a number of reasons, no question.

A replica of Monaco's twisty slow circuit type marked out in a car park is just plain terrible!
The circuits are as much to blame for the bad racing as the cars.
I wouldn't blame the circuits per se. Circuits now have to pay not only the extortionate sanctioning fee to host a race but also for upgrades to the Pits and various hospitality facilities that Bernie deems passable. If for whatever reason the circuit can't deliver either, the event is given over to a country with no, or very little motosrsport's heritage but who is willing to pay for a purpose built Tilke Drome and host a GP, as long as the GP still fits with Mr. Ecclestone's future olans for F1.

Also, for safety reasons, aspects of a circuit are sanitized by Herman Tilke, Mr. Ecclestone's "Ring Meister", resulting in a product that destroys the circuit's character, for driver and fan.
Old 3 Jun 2015, 04:57 (Ref:3544421)   #52
fieldodreams79
Veteran

United States
The Dirty South
fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Perhaps it boils down to your opinion of street circuits, as chillibowl is alluding too. Some like them; some don't.

I happen to like most of them, when not run through an American Football Stadium parking lot. I especially like them when the setting/backdrop is nice; Monaco is spectacular and the best out there. Belle Isle (I am watching the IMSA race on the DVR now), is gritty, rough and tough, yet picturesque as it is a park on a river island in the midst of a down and dirty city. Belle Islle oozes Americana, while Monaco oozes Formula 1. Monaco is what I think of now when I think of F1 as most of the other circuits have gone away since I started watching (mid 90s?). Belle Isle and Detroit is America, in all the good and bad ways. Both just work for me.

As for the actual racing, streets circuits rarely produce "great" racing. What you do get is some white knuckle driving that would be entertaining to me with just one vehicle on course. Some have likened this to rallying and hill climbs. I would agree. It's full on concentration where the slightest of mistakes are paid with huge consequences. Throw in more cars, strategy and the aforementioned appeal to street circuits, I am generally entertained and even more so with Monaco.

I don't blame Monaco as a circuit for the lack luster affair in some peoples' opinions; I blame F1. The "event" that is the Monaco GP is one of the few bright spots on the calendar for me. There's few other tracks that I actually enjoy watching on the calendar and sometimes you'll get a happenchance of good racing on Tilke circuits. What I get every time with Monaco is one of the greatest historic circuits, full of all the extras that is F1 as well as a circuit that punishes immensely for the slightest of errors.

Love or hate. I love and yet I understand the hate.

Last edited by fieldodreams79; 3 Jun 2015 at 05:07.
Old 3 Jun 2015, 13:58 (Ref:3544562)   #53
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!
This is Sebastien Bourdais' take on Monaco F1 in general

http://autoweek.com/article/formula-...n=awdailydrive
Old 3 Jun 2015, 14:53 (Ref:3544585)   #54
fieldodreams79
Veteran

United States
The Dirty South
fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by bjohnsonsmith View Post
This is Sebastien Bourdais' take on Monaco F1 in general

http://autoweek.com/article/formula-...n=awdailydrive
I agree with him and not sure I am really comfortable with actually starting to like the guy.
Old 6 Jun 2015, 09:50 (Ref:3545465)   #55
Born Racer
Race Official
Veteran

Born Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
7. Monaco being Monaco (good to watch the cars struggle round this circuit) gets an extra point regardless of the racing.