Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Sportscar & GT Racing > 24 Heures du Mans

Old 6 Oct 2015, 08:39 (Ref:3579916)   #1
Samoan Attorney
Veteran

Samoan Attorney should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSamoan Attorney should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSamoan Attorney should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Changes at Le Mans

This was posted on another forum - if it is the case then there are going to be a lot of unhappy campers

Have just got back from WSR in Le mans and have to report the circuit has gone "cashless" a la Nurburgring. Have to pay for (1 euro) and charge up a card from various cash cabins set up around the place and then use that to buy all your drinks and food etc. Plan is that at the end of the day you line up and get refunded anything not used over 1 euro but you can imagine the queues at the end of the day so most don't bother.
No displays on the tills either so difficult to know how much balance you have left. This was a much smaller event that the 24 hours and cannot imagine it working too well once 1/4 million people are using it.
It all looks permanent as well so guessing it will be in place for the 24h in 2016.
Old 6 Oct 2015, 08:54 (Ref:3579918)   #2
Simmi
Veteran

United Kingdom
Simmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
It's been mentioned in one of the generic Le Mans threads, but like you everyone seems to be in agreement it has bad idea written all over it.

This will either backfire as people get annoyed and buy less, or net them thousands in unclaimed Euros. I highly doubt you'll still have balance on your card when you rock up 12 months later.

Have to admit I couldn't tell you what I spend at the track each year. Just that it's mostly beer and merguez! I guess they have to pay for those new garages somehow.
Old 6 Oct 2015, 10:21 (Ref:3579923)   #3
bella
Race Official
Veteran

France
bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!
it is indeed the case, and it was SO annoying. even if you just want to buy a can of drink or whatever, you have to faff about with the cards. they lost about 15€ of business from me on crepes and drinks purely because i couldn't be arsed with that.

but in the circuits defence i didn't see any of the long queues suggested for refunds at the end of the day, but there were queues at lunch for cards and top-ups. but it WAS a smaller event and thus there were fewer booths for payments and obvious times of the day/weekend when people wanted to get the cards and top up/withdraw. it's much the same in austria at the red bull ring where you pay for what you want at a cash desk, then take the receipt to the food/drink stands and get your winnings there. and it makes sense to centralise the cash in one way or another because on a big weekend that's a heck of a lot of floats/more change needed situations.

fwiw the nurburgring isn't so anal about their cashless system any more (if it's still in use for food and drink sales) - i bought drinks at the wsr event there from the paddock food stand with proper money.
Old 6 Oct 2015, 10:40 (Ref:3579925)   #4
Akrapovic
Veteran

Scotland
Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Cool. This means I'll spend LESS money at the circuit and more outside.
Old 6 Oct 2015, 12:20 (Ref:3579946)   #5
isynge
Veteran

United Kingdom
London, UK
isynge is going for a new world record!isynge is going for a new world record!isynge is going for a new world record!isynge is going for a new world record!isynge is going for a new world record!isynge is going for a new world record!isynge is going for a new world record!isynge is going for a new world record!
Fair enough, cash can be a pain for a plethora of small kiosks / retailers for all the reasons Bella mentioned - but in this day and age you'd have thought an approach of propagating contactless card facilities / ApplePay (or similar) around the site would be a much more forward thinking way of doing things.

I'll confess to not being a massive spender on food / drink around the track (benefit of barbecue at Tertre Rouge) but I suspect this will cut the occasional discretionary / impulse spend (bottle of water, cold pint, merguez etc) down to zero.
Old 6 Oct 2015, 13:58 (Ref:3579963)   #6
Truckosaurus
Veteran

England
North Hampshire
Truckosaurus should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTruckosaurus should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTruckosaurus should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTruckosaurus should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Simmi View Post
...or net them thousands in unclaimed Euros....
This is the key point. I read the other week about a 3-day music festival in the USA that made over $250,000 from unclaimed balances from their cashless payment system.

I'm sure the success of charging €1 for a plastic beer glass has embolden the powers that be.
Old 6 Oct 2015, 16:11 (Ref:3579992)   #7
GT6
Veteran

England
MAIDSTONE, KENT, ENGLAND
GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!
Unlike at the smaller events using the bugatti circuit the two main events next year using the full circuit will require a huge number of machines to handle the transactions and also places to charge up the cards, will the ridiculous system still be used in the other area's at mulsanne and arnarge?. i think that it may come in for the smaller events but the massive expense needed to cateer for the 1/4 of a million people turning up will may this very risky as if it does not work then all the vendors will sue the ACO and i can't see the ACO taking that risk, contactless cards on the other hand are a much better bet for 2016 as many vendors already have the tech and almost everyone has cards that can be used already
Old 6 Oct 2015, 20:29 (Ref:3580074)   #8
bella
Race Official
Veteran

France
bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by isynge View Post
Fair enough, cash can be a pain for a plethora of small kiosks / retailers for all the reasons Bella mentioned - but in this day and age you'd have thought an approach of propagating contactless card facilities / ApplePay (or similar) around the site would be a much more forward thinking way of doing things.
i suppose an arguement against that would be that each transaction incurs a fee, and that takes money out of the aco's pockets. this way there's one fee, and only one transaction for the customer requiring them to part with money. the non-aco vendors will presumably pay rent on the card readers, but if they're clever they'll have pitched it lower than the transaction cost from a credit/debit card terminal.

pretty sure that this will be there to stay, and the aco will have paid a flat rate to contract it out to someone else. someone's done a very good sell to them given it doesn't really work at the nurburgring past it probably making the nordschleife tourist laps a bit more fun and leaving you with a proper souvenir of your visit.
Old 6 Oct 2015, 20:39 (Ref:3580075)   #9
batmobile
Race Official
Veteran

France
le mans
batmobile will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebatmobile will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebatmobile will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebatmobile will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebatmobile will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebatmobile will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebatmobile will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebatmobile will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by batmobile View Post
I don't know if it is the good thread but next year some changes to come about buying food on the circuit. During the World series week end you have to take a special card you have to credit and then you buy the food with it no change needed. They will use this means of payment for the trucks 24 h and it could be definitively adopted.
[QUOTE=batmobile;3577182]
Quote:

Correction. After some explanations they had some problems with the till receipt printers. They would have to get them for the next time. Other amazing thing. . All the prices are something like 9,59 € but when you want to get your cash back they have no cents coins.............
The cashless bank :https://plus.google.com/u/0/photos/1...22742228712026

My posts on the who's going thread.
Old 7 Oct 2015, 19:47 (Ref:3580336)   #10
Mike E
Veteran

Mike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Just about the only thing I buy in the circuit is one beer so I can get my souvenir plastic cup. Seems like a bit of a kerfuffle having to get a card, charge it up and then have to reclaim any balance at the end. Might have to steal a cup instead.
Old 8 Oct 2015, 09:09 (Ref:3580471)   #11
Simmi
Veteran

United Kingdom
Simmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Yep that looks pretty permanent.

Will have to do a bit of mathematics prior to the race and work out what I consume. It's not that much of a big deal I guess - just finding another excuse for people to queue up.

Don't really know how the beer cup system will work now because the whole point was that you could return those and get your money back - not that I ever did. Unless the vendor can add money back onto your card?
Old 8 Oct 2015, 09:39 (Ref:3580477)   #12
Samoan Attorney
Veteran

Samoan Attorney should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSamoan Attorney should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSamoan Attorney should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Not good - part two

I read on Facebook - Le Mans Legends has closed

http://www.lemainelibre.fr/actualite...10-2015-144859
Old 8 Oct 2015, 15:26 (Ref:3580533)   #13
Coach Ep
Veteran

Coach Ep has a real shot at the championship!Coach Ep has a real shot at the championship!Coach Ep has a real shot at the championship!Coach Ep has a real shot at the championship!Coach Ep has a real shot at the championship!Coach Ep has a real shot at the championship!
Old 8 Oct 2015, 16:36 (Ref:3580542)   #14
GT6
Veteran

England
MAIDSTONE, KENT, ENGLAND
GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!
Eric has already posted details of this on the whose going in 2016 thread
Old 13 Oct 2015, 20:46 (Ref:3582574)   #15
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:

The cashless bank :https://plus.google.com/u/0/photos/1...22742228712026

My posts on the who's going thread.
I'm looking forward to going to the points of caterings.

Gid moaning, I have bad nose.