Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 13 Jan 2018, 09:43 (Ref:3792424)   #26
wnut
Veteran

wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by JHamilton View Post
He's been executive director for just over a year. What exactly were you expecting from McLaren in 2017?
Getting a title sponsor!

Zak's area of expertise and promise made on taking the role.
Old 13 Jan 2018, 14:20 (Ref:3792470)   #27
Graz
Veteran

Ireland
Graz should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridGraz should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridGraz should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridGraz should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by wnut View Post
Getting a title sponsor!

Agreed, I though this was his priority when he got the role. Then when he doesn't get one, he makes out they don't need one. He failed in his primary objective and spun it.

He was obviously a good salesman in his prior role and is a car fan. Not sure this makes him right to run McLaren though. I'd prefer to see some positive outcomes before seeking every opportunity to get into the media. I just don't like the constant Zak Brown media saturation and nothing to back if up. I can't trust what he says until he actually does something.

The latest one now is McLaren will undergo the biggest appearance change of anyone this year. Sounds like 2017 with all the orange talk and there appeared a black McLaren with dull orange bits. Hardly the harking back to Bruce's days we were led to believe. Browns a salesman so wired to exaggerate and talk everything up. I prefer to see actual outcomes and results. He'd be better to button it for a while, see how the new McLaren goes (you'd expect an improvement with Honda gone and SVD with a season under his belt). Then he can start with the guff if it's aimed at sponsors, with something to back it up rather than spin and hyperbole.

Anytime he comes on just now, it's make a cup of tea time. My tea intake has gone way up this year....
Old 13 Jan 2018, 17:36 (Ref:3792497)   #28
peebee2
Veteran

peebee2 User had had their licence endorsedpeebee2 User had had their licence endorsed
They put all their eggs in the 2018 title sponsor basket, with their high downforce levels supposed to suggest a great chassis. Failed to the point of saying never wanted a title sponsor anyway!

2018 is a big year for Z and McL.
Old 13 Jan 2018, 20:39 (Ref:3792524)   #29
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
I demand that he is on all the things I watch and in all the things I chose to read less. And I demand he is better for McLaren.
Old 13 Jan 2018, 22:00 (Ref:3792536)   #30
JHamilton
Veteran

United States
Atlanta, GA
JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by wnut View Post
Getting a title sponsor!

That's fair, but I would argue it could be a "chicken or egg first" scenario for McLaren. Many, if not most, of the cars on the grid don't have a single title sponsor and those that do are at the front of the grid.

Renault is coming in. New year, new you.
Old 13 Jan 2018, 22:45 (Ref:3792543)   #31
bella
Race Official
Veteran

France
bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Juntos View Post
Zak is an excellent content producer for his own media group.
once again for the cheap seats in the back
Old 14 Jan 2018, 03:21 (Ref:3792602)   #32
E.B
Veteran

United Kingdom
About 7kms East of Albert Park Melbourne
E.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
... those that do are at the front of the grid.
Williams Martini
Alfa Romeo Sauber

Ronspeak is gone.... I give you Zakspeak.... or should that be Brownspeak
Old 14 Jan 2018, 04:03 (Ref:3792606)   #33
JHamilton
Veteran

United States
Atlanta, GA
JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by E.B View Post
Williams Martini
Alfa Romeo Sauber

Ronspeak is gone.... I give you Zakspeak.... or should that be Brownspeak
I don't believe Martini is a title sponsor in the traditional sense. I have heard it's more of a licensing agreement to use the livery and sell hats and t-shirts. I'm sure money is changing hands, but Martini & Rossi's annual revenues are less than several of the team's budgets. And to be fair, Williams are miles ahead of McLaren.

I honestly don't know enough about Sauber to speak intelligently about them.
Old 14 Jan 2018, 05:03 (Ref:3792611)   #34
E.B
Veteran

United Kingdom
About 7kms East of Albert Park Melbourne
E.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
I don't believe Martini is a title sponsor in the traditional sense. I have heard it's more of a licensing agreement to use the livery and sell hats and t-shirts. I'm sure money is changing hands, but Martini & Rossi's annual revenues are less than several of the team's budgets. And to be fair, Williams are miles ahead of McLaren.
Surely a title sponsor is one who is entered in the official entry by title.... Williams entry is as Williams Martini. Re Williams being ahead of McLaren, lets face it, every team bar Sauber finished well ahead of McLaren.
Old 14 Jan 2018, 06:36 (Ref:3792621)   #35
Mekola
Veteran

Kiribati
Atlantis
Mekola should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridMekola should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridMekola should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Res, non verba.
Old 14 Jan 2018, 14:07 (Ref:3792681)   #36
S griffin
Veteran

S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!
Obviously Zak must be quite loaded if he feels they don't need a title sponsor
Old 14 Jan 2018, 14:28 (Ref:3792686)   #37
mark_l
Veteran

England
mark_l should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridmark_l should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by S griffin View Post
Obviously Zak must be quite loaded if he feels they don't need a title sponsor

Do you seriously think Zak is putting a single penny of his own money in to McLaren! He is an employee purely tasked with bringing in sponsorship to the team. He is not even on the board of McLaren.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 14 Jan 2018, 18:41 (Ref:3792717)   #38
JHamilton
Veteran

United States
Atlanta, GA
Quote:
Originally Posted by E.B View Post
Surely a title sponsor is one who is entered in the official entry by title....
By definition, yes.

Evidently McLaren is not in a position where they have to enter into an agreement like what Williams have with Martini. If the agreement brings little to no direct financial support and could potentially devalue the existing brand now or in the future, what is the point? This is what I believe the point of Zak's statement was.
Old 14 Jan 2018, 18:59 (Ref:3792722)   #39
Mike Harte
Veteran

United Kingdom
W. Yorkshire
Mike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:

I honestly don't know enough about Sauber to speak intelligently about them.
You have to appreciate that Martini and Rossi are just one smallish part of the Bacardi group, whose profits are counted in the hundreds of millions of dollars.

It is a marketing exercise, and I doubt that the Bacardi family even miss the cost in their cash flow.
Old 14 Jan 2018, 19:20 (Ref:3792727)   #40
Mekola
Veteran

Kiribati
Atlantis
Mekola should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridMekola should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridMekola should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Kimoa McLaren? Methinks Kimoa by Benetton or sth like that?