Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 30 Jan 2018, 19:32 (Ref:3796964)   #26
Akrapovic
Veteran

Scotland
Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Fair point, but that's backwards. That's not "F1 tech on the road", thats "We made something good and would like to use it". Clever lobbying more than anything else.
Old 30 Jan 2018, 20:29 (Ref:3796984)   #27
Mike Harte
Veteran

United Kingdom
W. Yorkshire
Mike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by Akrapovic View Post
Fair point, but that's backwards. That's not "F1 tech on the road", thats "We made something good and would like to use it". Clever lobbying more than anything else.
True, but it does point to the fact that some, maybe a lot or possibly all the technology in the current PUs do have some road relevance, whether that be for cars or commercial vehicles. And Mercedes obviously believe that the technology used for both F1 and for road vehicles can be or is transferrable, regardless of which way round it is.

This was one of the major arguments that swayed the main board of directors of Daimler Benz to permit the uptake of the budget for continuing in F1, which had been in doubt back then. That, along with the team's estimates for fuel savings which they actually under-estimated.

To Mercedes, that is all relevant because it can have an impact on it's road vehicles. Much in the same way that it was imperative to Renault that the ICE should be a small displacement unit with turbo. Because that was relevant to their road vehicles.
Old 30 Jan 2018, 22:13 (Ref:3797002)   #28
Richard C
Veteran

Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Akrapovic View Post
Adrian Newey basically said this in his book. Very little technology carries over to road cars, and road car manufacturers aren't constrained by the same type of regulations as racing engines, so it's all a bit pointless.

Open engine formula please!
I think some of the current F1 (and WEC LMP1) engine tech may not have road relevance, but I think quite a bit does. I am sure there is some "secret sauce" stuff that really only applies to the race engines, but much of the concepts is knowledge and experience that they can't unlearn. For example I fully believe there was cross pollination between the Porsche road (918 and upcoming Mission X) and the race cars.

As to Newey... I have a ton of respect for him, but I think he is pushing his particular agenda in those comments.

Richard
Old 31 Jan 2018, 05:23 (Ref:3797058)   #29
wnut
Veteran

wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard Casto View Post
I think some of the current F1 (and WEC LMP1) engine tech may not have road relevance, but I think quite a bit does. I am sure there is some "secret sauce" stuff that really only applies to the race engines, but much of the concepts is knowledge and experience that they can't unlearn. For example I fully believe there was cross pollination between the Porsche road (918 and upcoming Mission X) and the race cars.

As to Newey... I have a ton of respect for him, but I think he is pushing his particular agenda in those comments.

Richard
This technology will only be relevant if the unscrupulous and their political servants manage to inflict it on the general population, a nice little earner!

Otherwise Adrian is right on the money, agenda or not.
Old 31 Jan 2018, 10:46 (Ref:3797124)   #30
Richard C
Veteran

Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by wnut View Post
This technology will only be relevant if the unscrupulous and their political servants manage to inflict it on the general population, a nice little earner!

Otherwise Adrian is right on the money, agenda or not.
Yes, the global cabal instructed Porsche and Ferrari to make hybrid and or electric cars against their will.

Yes, there have been/are government initiated incentives, but it is much more than that. High efficiency hydrocarbon/hybrid (short term) and electric (long term) vehicles are the future.

Richard
Old 1 Feb 2018, 01:29 (Ref:3797330)   #31
wnut
Veteran

wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard Casto View Post
Yes, the global cabal instructed Porsche and Ferrari to make hybrid and or electric cars against their will.

Yes, there have been/are government initiated incentives, but it is much more than that. High efficiency hydrocarbon/hybrid (short term) and electric (long term) vehicles are the future.

Richard
Agreed, the manufacturers have a special interest in including another 10 000 expensive little proprietary components and secret code that the sucker / customer will have pay for and have to maintain. They are not being forced to include these systems in their cars, they are furiously lobbying to make sure that the consumer has to adopt this inefficient technology, and cannot avoid these systems.