Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Australasian Touring Cars.

Old 17 Mar 2018, 02:29 (Ref:3808459)   #1
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
GTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Wanna job in motorsport?

“Everybody Lies” - Dr Gregory House
Old 17 Mar 2018, 06:47 (Ref:3808466)   #2
D.R.T.
Veteran

D.R.T. should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridD.R.T. should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Paul Morris asking people to work for food?

Is that legal? Didn't site any volunteer language in there
Old 17 Mar 2018, 08:43 (Ref:3808477)   #3
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
GTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
It’s not a bad way to get into a team with a decent operation.
History shows, for the right person, the sky could be the limit.

Funny that many of the Super2 squads are either staffed with volunteers or per-diem gypsies, yet that doesn’t raise comment.
Old 17 Mar 2018, 09:12 (Ref:3808486)   #4
JAFA851
Veteran

New Zealand
JAFA851 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
That's an ok deal for a starter. Hell the team I've helped out a couple of times lately don't even provide food.....

I'd be jumping at this chance if I was in that neck of the woods.
Old 17 Mar 2018, 12:40 (Ref:3808522)   #5
Ospi
Veteran

Ospi should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridOspi should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Oh I've got some fond memories of ol Paul. Sure he won't have trouble finding some enthusiastic lads/lasses who would jump at the opportunity.
Old 17 Mar 2018, 20:58 (Ref:3808643)   #6
Compromised
Veteran

Compromised should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
God help Australian motorsport if it ever has the follow the same IR rules as everyone else
Old 17 Mar 2018, 21:12 (Ref:3808644)   #7
peckstar
Veteran

Cayman Islands
peckstar has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Compromised View Post
God help Australian motorsport if it ever has the follow the same IR rules as everyone else
Volunteers are the norm in every sport, not just Motorsport. Thats why sport is ultimately a hobby (with a little bit of professionalism at the top)
Old 18 Mar 2018, 02:15 (Ref:3808748)   #8
Razor
10-10ths official Trekkie
Veteran

Australia
Behind the wheel
Razor should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridRazor should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridRazor should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by peckstar View Post
Volunteers are the norm in every sport, not just Motorsport. Thats why sport is ultimately a hobby (with a little bit of professionalism at the top)
Yep, you've hit the nail on the head there peckstar.

Back on topic, hearing some people are interested as they see it as a great thing to put on the resume plus a good networking opportunity. (Even my brother-in-law is looking into this)
Old 18 Mar 2018, 02:32 (Ref:3808757)   #9
Mixer
Veteran

Mixer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMixer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMixer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMixer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Funny, I did an apprenticeship of sorts under one of Australia's greatest ever race mechanics, on a volunteer basis, with a legendary Australian car driven then by the brother of the newest Supercar team owner!

The privilege was all mine, working with motorsport royalty, when the most famous names would come up to chat because of who was teaching me stuff!

Was a fair while ago now but I was very lucky and would do it again.
Old 18 Mar 2018, 05:34 (Ref:3808786)   #10
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mixer View Post
Funny, I did an apprenticeship of sorts under one of Australia's greatest ever race mechanics, on a volunteer basis, with a legendary Australian car driven then by the brother of the newest Supercar team owner!

The privilege was all mine, working with motorsport royalty, when the most famous names would come up to chat because of who was teaching me stuff!

Was a fair while ago now but I was very lucky and would do it again.
And that’s really the point... if you have the drive, the application, the capacity and ability to learn, putting yourself in the right plave at the right time can take you just about anywhere.

Worrying that its not an 80-thousand dollar job with company car & expense account misses the whole point...
Old 18 Mar 2018, 05:42 (Ref:3808787)   #11
Backagain
Racer

Backagain has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Not entirely confined to sport, other industries call it an internship, my daughter did one in the music industry overseas, ended up starting her own promotional company looking after some very well known names. It's a great way to get into an industry you're interested in, sure there is no pay, but if you're keen and it shows, it opens all sorts of doors and connects you with a lot of movers and shakers (if you show promise).
Old 19 Mar 2018, 14:16 (Ref:3809101)   #12
mountainstar
Veteran

United States
mountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridmountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridmountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Often it's no so much about what you know but who you know.

If someone needed to build a resume and connections in the sport, it might be a good idea.
Old 20 Mar 2018, 01:07 (Ref:3809240)   #13
Casper
Veteran

Casper should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridCasper should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I think it is a cheap way to get labour myself. My son who did this for a sports car team that was not in it professionally was paid because the owner did not think it was fair for him to spend hours travelling and working at the track for nothing and the owner availing himself of the skills that my son brought with him.
Old 12 Apr 2018, 01:22 (Ref:3814948)   #14
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
How about this one?

Old 12 Apr 2018, 02:51 (Ref:3814950)   #15
D.R.T.
Veteran

D.R.T. should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridD.R.T. should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by GTRMagic View Post
Worrying that its not an 80-thousand dollar job with company car & expense account misses the whole point...
Not sure who has made the above assertion GTR? You might be projecting here.

My initial post was related to the facebook/social media advertising for someone to "work for food" from a multi millionaire.

Volunteers are prevalent and a much needed resource for all corners of sport in Australia. An example of how other sporting organisations seek volunteers can be seen here https://www.sportspeople.com.au/sp/p...y.asp?ID=53666

Last edited by D.R.T.; 12 Apr 2018 at 02:59.
Old 12 Apr 2018, 02:59 (Ref:3814951)   #16
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
Quote:
Originally Posted by D.R.T. View Post
Not sure who has made the above assertion GTR? You might be projecting here.

My initial post was related to the facebook/social media advertising for some to "work for food" from a multi millionaire.

Volunteers are prevalent and a much needed resource for all corners of sport in Australia. An example of how other sporting organisations seek volunteers can be seen here https://www.sportspeople.com.au/sp/p...y.asp?ID=53666
Am guessing you didn’t get past first interview...
Old 12 Apr 2018, 03:02 (Ref:3814953)   #17
D.R.T.
Veteran

Classic posts as always from the resident moderator
Old 12 Apr 2018, 03:11 (Ref:3814954)   #18
Compromised
Veteran

Compromised should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I'd be extremely cautious advertising for someone "young"...
Old 14 Apr 2018, 16:45 (Ref:3815456)   #19
Langers
Veteran

Langers should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Great way to get yourself sued.
Old 16 Apr 2018, 02:30 (Ref:3815921)   #20
sizzle
Veteran

Australia
Darwin
sizzle should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridsizzle should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Langers View Post
Great way to get yourself sued.
And that tells you everything that is wrong with Oz today!
Old 16 Apr 2018, 02:54 (Ref:3815926)   #21
FAS33
Veteran

Australia
1st - 6th gear
FAS33 User had had their licence endorsedFAS33 User had had their licence endorsed
who'd want an old fart misplacing tools around the garage?
Old 16 Apr 2018, 03:23 (Ref:3815931)   #22
Axeman444
Veteran

Australia
Calling a spade a spade...
Axeman444 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridAxeman444 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Aaaand its school hols again...