Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Australasian Touring Cars.

Old 1 Apr 2018, 21:34 (Ref:3812381)   #76
peckstar
Veteran

Cayman Islands
peckstar has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Quote:
Originally Posted by FormulaFox View Post
I have been scouring the internet and can find no reference to ANY GT3 deaths in the past 5 years.

In point of fact, I cannot find ANY record of a driver death in a GT3 category race. So unless you can produce something I've been unable to find, your claim is a complete lie.
sorry I took a short cut, the post i quoted said GTE/GT3/GT4

and as we only have GT3/Gt4 in australia i took the short cut. sorry

I was also counting Andrea Mamé who was in a Super trofeo, so i guess that technically doesn't meet the definition, although i am not aware of the Safety being different.

Still remains that we had massive injuries in GT3 in Australia last year with drivers being out for 6 months or longer, That did not happen in supercars,
Old 1 Apr 2018, 21:55 (Ref:3812385)   #77
FormulaFox
Veteran

United States
Ohio
FormulaFox is heading for a stewards' enquiry!
Quote:
Originally Posted by peckstar View Post

I was also counting Andrea Mamé who was in a Super trofeo, so i guess that technically doesn't meet the definition, although i am not aware of the Safety being different.

Still remains that we had massive injuries in GT3 in Australia last year with drivers being out for 6 months or longer, That did not happen in supercars,
One year does not prove much of anything, but Supercars DID have a notable injury last year; Will Davison fractured his back in that now-infamous pileup(no joke, some friends of mine who don't care for racing saw that before I did because of how much it spread across the web!), and while he continued to race while recovering he probably should not have done so.

In the big picture, Supercars injury risk is effectively identical to that of any similarly performing form of racing. Australian GT is not immune from the risks of the sheer probability that the number of GT3 races each year produces - and "they should be safer" is not a valid deflection of the comparison. The safest racecars on the planet running 300 races per year will in all likelihood still have more injuries per year than a series that runs 30. What speaks most loudly is that these injuries that happened in Australian GT3 weren't an issue in the rest of the world, implying that it's either an issue unique to the Australian championship or, far more likely, simple coincidence.
Old 2 Apr 2018, 00:30 (Ref:3812395)   #78
one five five
Veteran

one five five should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridone five five should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:

What a joke

We all know how understanding you would be if other people took "short-cuts" or gave answers that "technically doesn't meet the definition" of something you were discussing

You posted garbage to try and support a rubbish claim, purely and simply.
Old 2 Apr 2018, 00:57 (Ref:3812397)   #79
Mixer
Veteran

Mixer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMixer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMixer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMixer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
In australia last year there were multiple Gt3 incidents that caused people to miss significant periods of time with injuries. In supercars there were none.
Both Chaz and James Courtney have had serious accidents in COTF that resulted in changes to make the cars even safer, but the consensus is that these accidents would have been worse in the previous cars.
Old 2 Apr 2018, 01:12 (Ref:3812399)   #80
Umai Naa
Veteran

Umai Naa should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridUmai Naa should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Not to mention guys like Lee Holdsworth, Rick Kelly, Scott Pye... who've all sustained at least rib injuries.
Old 2 Apr 2018, 06:29 (Ref:3812416)   #81
peckstar
Veteran

Cayman Islands
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mixer View Post
Both Chaz and James Courtney have had serious accidents in COTF that resulted in changes to make the cars even safer, but the consensus is that these accidents would have been worse in the previous cars.
agreed, back in 2015 and 2013. As you mentioned improvments have been made

I wonder what the damage would have been like in a Gt3 in similar situation, we havent seen them replicated in Gt3 that im aware
Old 2 Apr 2018, 06:46 (Ref:3812419)   #82
peckstar
Veteran

Cayman Islands
Quote:
Originally Posted by one five five View Post
What a joke

We all know how understanding you would be if other people took "short-cuts" or gave answers that "technically doesn't meet the definition" of something you were discussing

You posted garbage to try and support a rubbish claim, purely and simply.
Wasnt my claim. It was Fires claim, suggesting it was supercars propaganda.

and we have had a death in the the categories he mentioned and another in related sports cars.

We continue to see big injuries in GT racing in 2017 and 2018, where as we havent seen them in supercars in the same time
Old 2 Apr 2018, 10:09 (Ref:3812444)   #83
FormulaFox
Veteran

United States
Ohio
Quote:
We continue to see big injuries in GT racing in 2017 and 2018, where as we havent seen them in supercars in the same time
A spinal fracture that most agree shouldn't have been raced on isn't a big injury? You have a skewed viewpoint of a "big injury."
Old 2 Apr 2018, 10:53 (Ref:3812458)   #84
peckstar
Veteran

Cayman Islands
Quote:
Originally Posted by FormulaFox View Post
A spinal fracture that most agree shouldn't have been raced on isn't a big injury? You have a skewed viewpoint of a "big injury."

Well i think you have a skewed viewpoint, we are at an impasse
Old 2 Apr 2018, 17:15 (Ref:3812523)   #85
Langers
Veteran

Langers should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mixer View Post
JC’s crash makes me cringe to this very day. I can’t see how a production shell could have the same side intrusion protection as a (COTF) V8SC. Surely the transmission time would get in the way.
Old 2 Apr 2018, 19:15 (Ref:3812537)   #86
FormulaFox
Veteran

United States
Ohio
Quote:
Originally Posted by Langers View Post
I can’t see how a production shell could have the same side intrusion protection as a (COTF) V8SC.
The doors of modern cars have a lot of room to put stuff into once you take out the window mechanisms and other stuff currently in them. That impact-cushioning foam NASCAR uses has proven pretty effective, and I'm sure you could stuff a ton of it into a modern car door.

But keep in mind that the doors wouldn't just come straight off of the roadcar for the exact reasons you're concerned about. That's an area they'd have a dedicated safety-related alteration of some sort made.
Old 2 Apr 2018, 19:55 (Ref:3812546)   #87
E.B
Veteran

United Kingdom
About 7kms East of Albert Park Melbourne
E.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
And with the COTF IIRC there is even more room inside the doors because the driver location is moved away from the door towards the centre of the car. I think the reasons were to allow the spaceframe and greater side impact protection plus balance the (driver) weight more centrally.