Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Classic Cars Monthly Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Historic Racing & Motorsport History > Motorsport History

Old 12 May 2003, 07:46 (Ref:596638)   #1
KDW
Racer

KDW should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
F5000 Lotus 35

I have read that in USA Vernon Shields drove a Lotus 35 that had been fitted by Marvin MacAfee with a Ford 289.

Does anyone have more of this story or even better a photos please ?
What happened to the car?
Who was previous owner ?
Was the 35 originally a Fb, F2 or F3 ?
Does the car still exist?
Does anyone know the whereabouts of either Vernon or Marvin?
Thanks Kevin
Old 12 May 2003, 17:37 (Ref:597164)   #2
allenbrown
OldRacingCars.com
Veteran

allenbrown should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridallenbrown should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Kevin

I understand Vernon Shields is dead but I could probably get in touch with Marvin if I tried. The Lotus was owned by John Dimmer last I heard.

Allen
Old 14 May 2003, 15:25 (Ref:598845)   #3
KDW
Racer

Is that the Lotus 35 now fitted with the FPF in Tasman trim ??
I would be interested to hear from Marvin if possible please.
Thanks Kevin
Old 14 May 2003, 17:51 (Ref:598970)   #4
allenbrown
OldRacingCars.com
Veteran

allenbrown should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridallenbrown should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Kevin

I don't know how the car has been restored but there were a couple in the US that were said to be "ex-Tasman" or "Tasman". Neither were the ex-Clarke car of course but I guess Lotus were selling them for Formula A based on Clark's Tasman exploits.

I'll see what I can do about finding Marvin.

I've just twigged, are you Kevin Whittle? If so, do you have good records on the Lotus 35s?

Allen
Old 15 May 2003, 07:24 (Ref:599418)   #5
KDW
Racer

I am Kevin Whittle, and I have a 35, I know of Paul Matty's 35, this FPF Tasman 35 and am trying to find out more about the rest of the 22 built. I have been in contact with Clive Chapman and am following an invitation up there. I publish a small magazine " Lotus Single Seaters" bi monthly A5 colour. In it I ran the first part of a artical called 'the customer monocoques, 27, 32, 35, 44, 48'
These cars, 76 were built are rarley seen and seemingly little known. Any help in finding out more would be v well received.
Kevin
Old 15 May 2003, 09:37 (Ref:599535)   #6
Bryan Miller
Veteran

Bryan Miller should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
kevin, just happened upon this thread , am involved on various others at the moment.
We worked together if you remember trying to sort out the Lotus 19 ch.no. of Frank Matich a few years ago. Hello.
In regard to the 2 x 35 type cars which are both ex Jim Clark.
O ne is the Lotus 32B used by Clark in the Tasman in early 1965 , which is the car now with Classic Team Lotus , swapped between Classic and the late John Dawson-Damer , as Classic did not have an early type car and J.D-D. did not have a late car , the car swapped was the ex Andretti 78.
Second car is still in Australia in the hands of Piers Dawson-Damer and I understand will remain so, this is the one off Lotus 39 , which really is out of the same group of 32/35 series.
In regard to any other cars claiming Tasman heritage , forget it , unless it is the ex Leo Geoghegan 1.5 litre 32, which was sold to Switzerland I believe a few years ago.
Bryan.
Old 15 May 2003, 19:52 (Ref:600146)   #7
KDW
Racer

Hi Bryan,
Nice to hear from you again.
My 35 came from Niece via Switzerland.
The 35 owned by Dimmer and I believe in FPF Tasam trim has been indicated as the ex F5000 Lotus 35 ??
Old 9 Oct 2003, 20:43 (Ref:745670)   #8
John Dimmer
Rookie

John Dimmer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Kevin;

I just stumbled across this email thread. I do indeed own the Lotus 35 that was used by Vernon Shields as a F5000 car. It is chassis number 35-F-18, and originally began life as a Ron Harris Team Lotus Formula 2 car, driven by Brian Hart. Sometime around the middle of 1966, my car was returned to the Lotus factory, where it was fitted with a Climax FPF engine and a ZF5DS20 gearbox. Lotus even went so far as to produce a new build sheet for the re-fit, a copy of which is in my posession. The resultant car was identical to the Lotus 32B which Jim Clark used to win the 1965-66 Tasman Champinship. In fact, my car has a rear sway bar stamped with the initials, "JC." In speaking with a number of former Lotus mechanics, they indicated that this would have been off of one of Jimmy's cars. While my car never participated in any of the Tasman races, it was, according to an article in the August 1969 issue of Car & Driver Magazine, sold to Vernon Shields as, "the ex-Jim Clark Tasman Championship Car." Suffice it to say that I think this was another of Colin Chapman's marketing ploys, as it was a convenient way of quickly selling of what was soon to be an obsolete 1 litre F2 car.

I've done quite a bit of research on the type 35 cars, and on my car in particular, and would be happy to visit with you further and share my information. Send me an email.

Cheers!

- John
Old 10 Oct 2003, 07:59 (Ref:746033)   #9
KDW
Racer

Hi John,
Good to hear from you.
My email is kevin@lotus-single-seaters.co.uk
I have only done a test session at Mallory Park with my car to date. Tomorrow I am at Silverstone in the HSCC Classic Racing Cars series, in class C. (ie cars built before 12-65 and over 500cc)
I am trying to see just how many 35 cars survived.
I had a phone call last week from USA Steve Lawrence is rebuilding his 35 and looking for SCA bits. I also understand that a J? Springett has a 35 F2.
How many cars do you know of?
I would be delighted to meet you next time you are in UK.

Regards
Kevin
Old 10 Oct 2003, 09:12 (Ref:746090)   #10
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Welcome to the forum John.