Home Forum News Cookbook F1 Predictions FaceBook Us T-Shirts etc.: Europe/Worldwide. eBay Motorsport Links Advertising IRC Chat  
Site Partners: Rally Ads Racing24 SpotterGuides Downforce Radio MotorsportAds MotorsTV (Sky 447) » 25-10 22:35 : FIA WRC DAILY HIGHLIGHTS RALLYE DE ESPANA - DAY 2  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Indycar Series > ChampCar World Series

Old 26 Jul 2003, 00:25   #1
Liz
Veteran

Liz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridLiz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
CCWS Driver Revelations: "American media is Trying To Kill CART!"

Our associate at www.rfmsports.com has interviewed five drivers today. Every single one of them has volunteered the thought that the American media is trying to kill CART and they don't understand why.

This statement was not solicited in any way.

Every one of these drivers said that they have seen huge crowds of enthusiastic fans everywhere they go, and yet the American media continues to scream that CART is dying.

If this had been only one driver, or two, I would have thought it was just personal opinion. But when 100% of those drivers have that idea, you have to pay attention.

Comments?
Old 26 Jul 2003, 00:36   #2
Jay
Veteran

United Nations
Canada
Jay should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I don't live in the states, so it's hard to say. It seems to depend on where the media is as well... I've seen some pretty positive articles about Cart on news sites in Long Beach, Portland, Miami, St. Petes, Cleveland....coincidence? No...

This is where the quote comes from: Tiago Monteiro "...the American media seems to want to kill CART with their rumors; most of the journalists donít help that in America. From the inside, itís so not true. CART is getting better and better."

From my experience on these boards and reading, that's definately true! The people that are enthusiastic about Cart's death are those that have absolutely no involvement in the series, no contact at all with anyone in the Cart community, don't go to races, and probably don't even watch the races. Everyone that I've seen, talked to and read abou that has any involvement (or press that regularily covers it) seems quite bullish on Cart right now. The finances do not look good on paper, and Cart is in a tricky spot with respect to its status as a public company - definately big hurdles that need to be sorted out, but I'm pretty sure they will be by mid-August. The product itself though, hasn't been better in years and is attracting more new attention than it has in years. While there are hurdles to overcome in the background, the series is not dieing, it's growing!
"I used to hate writing, but now I enjoy it. I realized that the purpose of writing is to inflate weak ideas, obscure poor reasoning, and inhibit clarity. With a little practice, writing can be an intimidating and impenetrable fog!" - Calvin and Hobbes
Old 26 Jul 2003, 02:17   #3
sgjb
Racer

sgjb should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I just got home from the qualifying here today in Vancouver and we set a Friday record with over 45,000 fans. But I must say alot of people were talking about the press release yesterday about CART not having the funds for a full year next year. I do questions carts motives in releasing information one day prior to the event. It was only last week that reports from their board meeting said that Chris Pook declared they had enough funds for 2004. I know there are disclosure laws in the U.S. that I do not know about, but it seems to me they should release these things in between events hopefully when there is a break. It may give the event a chance at focusing more on racing than this negative stuff. I attended Portland and there was alot of negative there as well. I wish it would stop but it appears CART is there own worst enemy.
Old 26 Jul 2003, 02:25   #4
Liz
Veteran

Liz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridLiz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I think there is a timetable involved in the SEC disclosure forms' release. The sooner they go private, the better.

Tiago's comment was the strongest and most articulate so we let that one stand. The others were somewhat edited, as we didn't want to get crossways to the other media by being too negative.
Old 26 Jul 2003, 02:32   #5
Jay
Veteran

United Nations
Canada
Jay should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
45,000 people on a Friday? Wow..that's more than Toronto had... I don't blame any of them for talking about the latest news...news is news, good or bad. It's a lot like the time last year when we were doubtful Cart would get 18 cars on the grid...lots of talk, very little action.
"I used to hate writing, but now I enjoy it. I realized that the purpose of writing is to inflate weak ideas, obscure poor reasoning, and inhibit clarity. With a little practice, writing can be an intimidating and impenetrable fog!" - Calvin and Hobbes
Old 26 Jul 2003, 04:42   #6
Omega99
Veteran

Canada
9Henday
Omega99 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
It's always great when the source of our information really has no valid information at all. CNN can over analalyse a single sentence from the White House for four hours, but if it turns out to be nothing important, they'll never mention it again, they just leave it unfinished. The rarely intrigues or entertains the way random speculation does.
Old 26 Jul 2003, 05:02   #7
Dov
Veteran

Canada
Toronto, Canada
Dov should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by Jay
45,000 people on a Friday? Wow..that's more than Toronto had...
Jay, just remember one thing, that Friday in Toronto it was raining so hard, I saw animals lining up two by two!

Last edited by Dov; 26 Jul 2003 at 05:05.
Old 26 Jul 2003, 05:20   #8
gttouring
Veteran

gttouring should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
American media is not helping CART at all, that is true, and if they are not helping they are part of the problem.
I would like to see the drivers comments i couldn't find it on the site.
Coverage has been poor, reports have been lackluster and no help, thet all move aside for IRL and NASCAR never giving champ car its fair share of time. Speed channel doesn't report it too well either and they have the best coverage of it. Newsprint and dailies is apalling names like Unser, andretti take the cake before actual racing
this suks, are they getting a cash award for every word onn any other series.
Old 26 Jul 2003, 07:11   #9
x_dt
Veteran

England
Manchester, UK
x_dt should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Many with links to CART seem confident about the future and yet in recent days all there has been is this doom and gloom triggered by a statement about CART not currently having the money to complete 2004. That is the case only if there is no buyout (a buyout seems likely) and no injection of cash.

How many potential sponsors have been put off sponsoring the series or CART teams because they've read and been put off by the negative press?
Old 26 Jul 2003, 07:38   #10
GoFaster
Racer

GoFaster should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Media killing CART?...give me a break.$1.60 a share for MPH and falling is what's killing CART. Next week I suppose it will be global warming killing CART.
I wonder how many people that are confident in the future of the series actually have invested in it?
I think the smart guysgot out around $30.
Old 26 Jul 2003, 08:49   #11
GoFaster
Racer

Canadian math:5 OF 19 = 100%..nice try.
Was Vasser in this survey?

Last edited by GoFaster; 26 Jul 2003 at 08:56.
Old 26 Jul 2003, 09:29   #12
BootsOntheSide
Veteran

England
Eastbourne, England
BootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
They only asked five drivers, not all 19. American 'education' strikes again.

The media is giving CART a hard time. I guess it's not as saleable as NASCAR or IRL - there are less American drivers, less drivers with well-known names and personalities, all these complicated road races without enough of the big crashes Americans love, races all voer the world....
Old 26 Jul 2003, 10:30   #13
GoFaster
Racer

[QUOTE]Originally posted by BootsOntheSide
[B]They only asked five drivers, not all 19. American 'education' strikes again.
I didn't suggest that all 19 were involved.The intent of my post was to dis-associate the 74% that were not surveyed from 100% and to stop the spin.
If you care to debate on my American education vs. yours,maybe we could arrange that on another forum.
Old 26 Jul 2003, 10:40   #14
macdaddy
Veteran

Canada
St.Catharines Ontario
macdaddy has a real shot at the podium!macdaddy has a real shot at the podium!macdaddy has a real shot at the podium!macdaddy has a real shot at the podium!
Oh, so that was the intent of your post.
All the while I thought you were trying to brush up on your Canadian math.
Old 26 Jul 2003, 11:59   #15
Liz
Veteran

Vasser is being interviewed today, so I will let you know if he has anything to say on the subject.

100% of those interviewed is what I meant to say. Sorry if that was unclear.