Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 22 Aug 2005, 00:54 (Ref:1387912)   #1
runshaw
Veteran

England
Lancashire UK
runshaw should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Takuma Sato- deserving or not?

I feel sorry for the guy, yet it is largely his fault that he is not consistent. What do others think about him? I am interested to know.

It is quite obvious it he is very quick, but that actually means very little when you are constantly being beaten by your team-mate and not bringing the points home in the points when it is obvious you should be doing. It will be sad to see someone of Sato's ability out of F1, yet it looks like it is going that way at the moment. A great shame as everyone knows he will go for every opportunity there is, just a shame he ruins his chances.

Considering Davidson's speed and consistancy (and Sato's obvious lack of consistancy), should BAR have opted for him this year or not?
Old 22 Aug 2005, 01:30 (Ref:1387927)   #2
Snrub
Veteran

Canada
London, Ontario, Canada
Snrub should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridSnrub should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
The regulations this season seem to be putting out a lot of drivers. Take last year, Sato wasn't the fastest, but he more or less got the job done. I think often his overtaking manouvers compensated for other weaknesses. Now passing is difficult. Last year he was good enough, but this year he hasn't been. I don't think BAR have much of a reason to keep him around unless they know something we don't and suspect that he'll perform like in the past again in the future.

Sato's season has gone much like Fisi, Ralf and JPM's. These guys have all proven that they can drive at a certain pace, but seem unable to do it consistantly or even at all this year. I'm not sure why. I think it has something to do with the way the cars are this year, but I really don't have anything to back that up.
Old 22 Aug 2005, 02:06 (Ref:1387937)   #3
Oaksnaf
Veteran

Australia
Oaksnaf should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
How long will BAR wait for Sato to find some pace. He hasn't really showed any glimpses of winning material. For sure he can drive about 25% of a GP right, but the rest of it is marred by inconsistency and mistakes. We cant continuelly bring back Sato's past and show how fantastically fast he was, because F3 is not F1.

I would personally like to see Sato race in another category and concentrate on consistency, learning the category and the aspects of racing, to just make him think. They say a good driver can lap the same time lap after lap. If you look at people like Kimi his lap times are eerily close together, a tenth here and tenth here, sometimes they are exactly identical to the third decimal point. Schumacher (Michael) is also very consistent despite the lack of pace from Ferrari.

But when you look at Sato, his laptimes are all over the place. 6 tenths quicker, 5 tenths slower, 3 tenths out, a second out. He is just far too inconsistent.
Old 22 Aug 2005, 03:44 (Ref:1387958)   #4
Valve Bounce
Veteran

Australia
Home :)
Valve Bounce has been held in scrutiny for further testing
Lack of professionalism

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snrub
The regulations this season seem to be putting out a lot of drivers. Take last year, Sato wasn't the fastest, but he more or less got the job done. I think often his overtaking manouvers compensated for other weaknesses. Now passing is difficult. Last year he was good enough, but this year he hasn't been. I don't think BAR have much of a reason to keep him around unless they know something we don't and suspect that he'll perform like in the past again in the future.

Sato's season has gone much like Fisi, Ralf and JPM's. These guys have all proven that they can drive at a certain pace, but seem unable to do it consistantly or even at all this year. I'm not sure why. I think it has something to do with the way the cars are this year, but I really don't have anything to back that up.
I really don't believe that anyone can mention Sato in the same sentence as Fisi, Ralfie or JPM.
Sato drives in F1 as if it is a carefree class like KART. He fails to look out for the next car in quals and he then has the gall to say his radio wasn't working. The mind boggles!!

This is F1, and to be in a team like BAR requires total professionalism - something which this affable fellow doesn't seem to understand. It's not that his driving speed isn't good enough, he is goofing off too much!!
Old 22 Aug 2005, 06:21 (Ref:1388002)   #5
SkaifeHRT
Racer

Australia
Melbourne, Victoria Australia
SkaifeHRT has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Let's face it, Sato is only where he is because of Honda. After his efforts in qualifying on the weekend (ie. blocking Webber and getting a grid penalty), it's little wonder even Honda are losing patience with him.
Old 22 Aug 2005, 07:12 (Ref:1388021)   #6
FPV GTHO
Veteran

Australia
St Marys, NSW
FPV GTHO should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
With Davisons stock rising in the midst of the interest from Midland, if BAR cant keep Button, they'll know Davison wont stick around to test for another year so ato's BAR days are over at the end of the seasom as far as i can see it.
Old 22 Aug 2005, 07:41 (Ref:1388039)   #7
Kicking-back
Veteran

Kicking-back should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridKicking-back should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
If BAR retain Sato then he'll have deserved it.

If they don't retain him, then he won't have deserved to stay.

We'll have to wait and see what decision they make.
Old 22 Aug 2005, 08:13 (Ref:1388060)   #8
Oaksnaf
Veteran

Australia
Oaksnaf should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kicking-back

So if BMW retain Jacques then he'll have deserved it?
Old 22 Aug 2005, 09:11 (Ref:1388091)   #9
Valve Bounce
Veteran

Australia
Quote:

Maybe the guy has just come into hard times - he'll do better - just you wait and see.
Old 22 Aug 2005, 09:21 (Ref:1388101)   #10
ensign14
Veteran

British Antarctic Territory
Deception Island
ensign14 is going for a new world record!ensign14 is going for a new world record!ensign14 is going for a new world record!ensign14 is going for a new world record!ensign14 is going for a new world record!ensign14 is going for a new world record!
Sato is the biggest disappointment this year. Last year he was taking the fight to the Ferraris and could have had a win; only some over-enthusiastic Barrichello blocking stopped him from at least a 2nd. This year he has been all at sea with a troublesome car.

Reminiscent of Button's 2nd season. He has not developed as much as I hoped he would. But for him to lose his drive whilst the likes of JV and Ralfie are doing absolutley nothing to justify their gigantic wages and stature would be repugnant.
Old 22 Aug 2005, 09:44 (Ref:1388109)   #11
Kicking-back
Veteran

Kicking-back should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridKicking-back should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oaksnaf
So if BMW retain Jacques then he'll have deserved it?

Absolutely.

Because they, as the team, would have chosen to retain him.
Old 22 Aug 2005, 09:57 (Ref:1388127)   #12
ensign14
Veteran

British Antarctic Territory
Deception Island
ensign14 is going for a new world record!ensign14 is going for a new world record!ensign14 is going for a new world record!ensign14 is going for a new world record!ensign14 is going for a new world record!ensign14 is going for a new world record!
Or would have been contractually bound to do so.
Old 22 Aug 2005, 09:59 (Ref:1388133)   #13
runshaw
Veteran

England
Lancashire UK
Quote:
Absolutely.

Because they, as the team, would have chosen to retain him.
Thats not entirely true because Sauber/BMW don't want him, but he has a contract and they may have to honour it.
Old 22 Aug 2005, 10:02 (Ref:1388137)   #14
Kicking-back
Veteran

If he has a two year contract, he deserves to stay.
Old 22 Aug 2005, 10:07 (Ref:1388140)   #15
runshaw
Veteran

England
Lancashire UK
Getting back to the point, if Sato ends up out of a race drive at BAR, what is he gonna do?
Old 22 Aug 2005, 10:11 (Ref:1388148)   #16
Kicking-back
Veteran

Test for BAR, or be assisted into a Honda-powered IndyCar most likely
Old 22 Aug 2005, 10:19 (Ref:1388154)   #17
BSchneiderFan
Veteran

United Kingdom
London, UK
BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!
Perhaps Sato has relied for too long on the Honda connection. BAR would be forgiven for dropping him for 2006, and I can't see that being third driver would enhance Sato's career. He'd be better striking out on his own, maybe driving for Midland or something.

Are his travails in any way the result of graduating to F1 too quickly? Would he have been better advised to spend a season or two in F3000? Is a move to GP2 out of the question (I tend to think it is, Sato's had too long in F1)?
Old 22 Aug 2005, 10:20 (Ref:1388155)   #18
runshaw
Veteran

England
Lancashire UK
Would Honda still back him even though they are likely to kick him out of a race drive in F1? That would seem strange if they do, as they know he is far too inconsistent which is a quality a driver needs, and have even stated they need two drivers home in the points if, implying they don't want Sato.
Old 22 Aug 2005, 10:25 (Ref:1388159)   #19
runshaw
Veteran

England
Lancashire UK
Quote:
Originally Posted by BSchneiderFan
Perhaps Sato has relied for too long on the Honda connection. BAR would be forgiven for dropping him for 2006, and I can't see that being third driver would enhance Sato's career. He'd be better striking out on his own, maybe driving for Midland or something.

Are his travails in any way the result of graduating to F1 too quickly? Would he have been better advised to spend a season or two in F3000? Is a move to GP2 out of the question (I tend to think it is, Sato's had too long in F1)?
I don't think Sato going to Midland is even on the cards, or a GP2 race seat. And I personally don't think he did graduate to F1 too quickly. Many drivers have stepped up from F3 and done a good job, and Sato did actually do enough for everyone to see he was quick enough for F1, yet his erratic side now seems to have got the better of him.
Old 22 Aug 2005, 10:31 (Ref:1388169)   #20
Valve Bounce
Veteran

Australia
Quote:
Originally Posted by runshaw
Getting back to the point, if Sato ends up out of a race drive at BAR, what is he gonna do?
He could either test, or go to IRL. QED.
Old 22 Aug 2005, 10:54 (Ref:1388185)   #21
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
We were unable to determin why he was coming back to the pits so slowly that he could impede Mark. JV had a similar off but managed to keep out of the way. Was there anything on TV about this?
Old 22 Aug 2005, 10:59 (Ref:1388189)   #22
mstar
Racer

mstar should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
well looking at sato's performances this year team insiders (read in Autosport) say that sato has hit a plateau. He seems to be unable to raise his game when he is needed to get extra tenths, like jenson can.

Also has anybody been monitoring his laptimes? a clear indication and was clear for the team was hungry where JB and TS were close to each other after the star of the race, jenson lapped consistentantly and just out raced him, and TS ended up some 15-20secs behind and JUMPED by both williams! that was clear proof if ever. His lap-times where all over the place.

I think sato's time is up i think
Old 22 Aug 2005, 12:00 (Ref:1388243)   #23
Skam85
Veteran

Skam85 has a real shot at the championship!Skam85 has a real shot at the championship!Skam85 has a real shot at the championship!Skam85 has a real shot at the championship!Skam85 has a real shot at the championship!Skam85 has a real shot at the championship!
And because JV has shown signs of improvement throughout the season, and, as of late has been outpacing Massa.

Sato hasn't been able to get anywhere near Button, and, although Sato is quick, he has had his chance, quite a few times over.
Old 22 Aug 2005, 12:18 (Ref:1388260)   #24
N I Tram
Veteran

N I Tram should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
That confused me as well Peter -usually a slow in lap isn't so slow as to only complete half a lap in the time the next dreiver completes 1 1/2 laps. Still, both he and the team were at fault and both were punished.

Sato only started racing at 19, he never raced in karts, and that perhaps explains his impetuous streak. Still, the point about the 2005 rules workinga against him is a good one; he's also had a very unsettled season with a lot of missed races.
Old 22 Aug 2005, 12:24 (Ref:1388269)   #25
Glen
Veteran

Glen should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridGlen should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridGlen should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
If you're BAR you've got a) a driver who is out the door after this season (who also has to be talked through every bloody thing and is claerly out of his depth) and b) a rival team who want your best driver and have scored twice your points despite having the slower package. - ie if you're BAR you let Sato work it out for himself and see what happens!