Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 30 Jul 2006, 17:05 (Ref:1668008)   #1
Marbot
Retired
20KPINAL

United Kingdom
Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!
How the teams propose to cut speeds

6-5 in favour of tyres rather than an engine freeze.And just to let you know where they stand on the overtaking issue,7-4 in favour of no aero restrictions.http://www.pitpass.com/fes_php/pitpa...s_art_id=28848
Old 31 Jul 2006, 15:16 (Ref:1669005)   #2
chillibowl
Veteran

Canada
winnipeg, canada
chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!
concerning this whole overtaking issue - i have always wondered why anyone would design (or would want to design) a racing car that makes it easier for another car to overtake you. its almost counter-intuitive. if anything dont you want as much dirty air and turbulance in your wake just to hinder the guy behind you?

regardeless of the restrictions or specs they introduce - wont making it more difficult for the guy the behind always be a priority?

i hope im not hijacking this thread with my question - but i was just thinking that concerns like this will always make unanimity immpossible becasue the temas in front will always think different to the teams in the back.
Old 31 Jul 2006, 15:45 (Ref:1669032)   #3
zac510
Veteran

zac510 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Any description of these proposed rules are always too vague for us to make an accurate judgement. Only the TWG have access to the full text that justifies their decision.
Old 1 Aug 2006, 00:51 (Ref:1669519)   #4
Matt
Veteran

United States
Connecticut
Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!
I propose Zero aero add ons, no wings, nothing.
Old 1 Aug 2006, 01:30 (Ref:1669533)   #5
Marbot
Retired
20KPINAL

United Kingdom
Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by MattA1
That makes it 7-5 then.
Old 1 Aug 2006, 06:15 (Ref:1669611)   #6
gfm
Veteran

gfm should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridgfm should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I don't think I go along with this at all.
Why do we want to cut speeds?
Why go green, or at least, if we go green, lets go super powerful, less aeros, reasonable grip?
At this rate, the US champ cars or GP2 will provide better entertainment.
Mosely trying to find a role for himself/his organisation.
An entertainment doesn't need to be green. (Sorry wrong thread).
Old 1 Aug 2006, 07:21 (Ref:1669630)   #7
Chatters
Veteran

Australia
Radelaide, South Australia
Chatters should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridChatters should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
What happened to the CDG Wing? Isn't that supposed to make overtaking easier, and be implented for 2007 or 2008?
"A lot of people go through life doing things badly. Racing’s important to men who do it well. When you’re racing, it... it’s life. Anything that happens before or after... is just waiting." - Steve McQueen
Old 1 Aug 2006, 09:45 (Ref:1669734)   #8
zac510
Veteran

Quote:
Care to put that regulation in words for us?
Old 1 Aug 2006, 15:33 (Ref:1670035)   #9
Matt
Veteran

United States
Connecticut
Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by zac510
Care to put that regulation in words for us?

Thats what I would want it to look like, well, thats the 'Ferrari,' and that Giant gray deal is the Exhaust pipe.

5 Min drawing in paint.
Old 1 Aug 2006, 16:16 (Ref:1670076)   #10
Greenback
Veteran

Singapore
Singapore
Greenback has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Personally I dont there is a need to make the F1 cars any slower, instead we should try to ensure that all fast and modern F1 tracks has enough run off area.
Old 1 Aug 2006, 16:20 (Ref:1670079)   #11
Erki
Racer

Estonia
Tartu, Estonia
Erki has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greenback
Personally I dont there is a need to make the F1 cars any slower, instead we should try to ensure that all fast and modern F1 tracks has enough run off area.
Isn't there enough yet?
Old 1 Aug 2006, 17:02 (Ref:1670117)   #12
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chatters
What happened to the CDG Wing? Isn't that supposed to make overtaking easier, and be implented for 2007 or 2008?
That question was asked in this thread a couple of weeks ago: http://tentenths.com/forum/showthrea...light=CDG+Wing
Old 1 Aug 2006, 17:05 (Ref:1670120)   #13
CombeMarshal
Veteran

England
Stroud, Glos
CombeMarshal should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Get rid of the Pits stops, thats the real problem, to many drivers don't even bother trying to over take, they just wait till the pits.
Old 1 Aug 2006, 17:43 (Ref:1670154)   #14
Sodemo
Veteran

United Kingdom
Solihull, West Mids, UK
Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!
Wonderful, more great news for F1.

Logic fails once more.
Old 1 Aug 2006, 17:49 (Ref:1670161)   #15
zac510
Veteran

Quote:

Thats what I would want it to look like, well, thats the 'Ferrari,' and that Giant gray deal is the Exhaust pipe.

5 Min drawing in paint.
That exhaust pipe on that angle could produce downforce. Anyway I think you missed the point of my question because you didn't put the regulation into words.

Your picture is quite funny tho
Old 1 Aug 2006, 20:21 (Ref:1670312)   #16
Marbot
Retired
20KPINAL

United Kingdom
Another link.http://www.grandprix.com/ns/ns17238.html
Old 1 Aug 2006, 20:59 (Ref:1670362)   #17
Matt
Veteran

United States
Connecticut
Quote:
Originally Posted by zac510
That exhaust pipe on that angle could produce downforce. Anyway I think you missed the point of my question because you didn't put the regulation into words.

Your picture is quite funny tho
I don't really know how to explain something in words, but I can do alot better job with pictures. The exhaust is supposed to be a straight shot back, like the old AAR F1 cars, I couldn't get it to look right on that quick drawing. Like this.

http://www.atspeedimages.com/2005_wi...03_f1_rear.jpg
(Linked for huge image.)

Cheers,
Matt.
Old 1 Aug 2006, 22:36 (Ref:1670445)   #18
zac510
Veteran

Quote:
I don't really know how to explain something in words
That is my point. With a subject matter like this, putting a restriction as you propose needs to be so strictly worded that it would leave little or no room for change.
Old 2 Aug 2006, 00:13 (Ref:1670487)   #19
Matt
Veteran

United States
Connecticut
Let's try.

ABSOLUTELY NO AERODYNAMIC WINGS
Which may include:
Front and rear wings.
Sidepod winglets.
Upper nose 'wings.'
Diffusers.
Barge Boards.
Anything that uses air to force the car down onto the track, creating more grip.
Old 2 Aug 2006, 08:56 (Ref:1670707)   #20
zac510
Veteran

A diffuser isn't a wing.

The underbody 'uses air to force the car down onto the track, creating more grip'. But it is certainly not a wing. Would you like to ban flat bottom cars too?
Old 2 Aug 2006, 08:59 (Ref:1670710)   #21
Armco Bender
Llama Assassin and Sheep Botherer
Veteran

New Zealand
International Sheep Ambassador
Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!
Hire JV,that would slow your car down.

Runs.......very far,and jumps down very deep hole
Old 2 Aug 2006, 16:52 (Ref:1671160)   #22
Pingguest
Veteran

Netherlands
Heemstede, The Netherlands
Pingguest should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Downforce is needed, from a safety point of view. Without downforce the car could go up into the air, if it drivers over a bump.

What we need is ground effects, a modest rear wing and a ban on the front wing.
Old 2 Aug 2006, 16:55 (Ref:1671167)   #23
Pingguest
Veteran

Netherlands
Heemstede, The Netherlands
Pingguest should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by martyn bott
6-5 in favour of tyres rather than an engine freeze.And just to let you know where they stand on the overtaking issue,7-4 in favour of no aero restrictions.http://www.pitpass.com/fes_php/pitpa...s_art_id=28848
I'm not surprised by this. The teams, but especialy Max Mosley, have always been keen on reducing mechanical grip. I really believe that the (possibility of= reducing mechanical grip was the main factor for introducing the control tyre.
Old 2 Aug 2006, 17:17 (Ref:1671198)   #24
chillibowl
Veteran

Canada
winnipeg, canada
chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Anything that uses air to force the car down onto the track, creating more grip.
agreed lets ban forward driving

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pingguest
I'm not surprised by this. The teams, but especialy Max Mosley, have always been keen on reducing mechanical grip. I really believe that the (possibility of= reducing mechanical grip was the main factor for introducing the control tyre.
while the control tire will reduce cornering speed, the reduction of mech. grip in relation to aero grip was something i though Max was against. ie more of an emphasis on mech. grip will give us more overtaking and less spending on aero bits.

im so confused