Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > General Forums > Armchair Enthusiast

Old 31 Aug 2006, 09:57 (Ref:1698338)   #1
Marky
Racer

United Kingdom
,Kent
Marky should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
1983 Rothmans Porsche 1:18 Decal Conversion

Mod note: Split this out from the Le Mans Winners 1:18 thread.

on the minchamps porker 956
the racing decals can be picked off very carefully and rothmans is underneth.
also with the crest logos there is a site on ebay that sells the decals to swop them. if you do it all very carefull it is perfect and looks stunning.
well worth the effort.

[Sorry Mark, we don't allow URLs]

Last edited by Craig; 27 Oct 2006 at 19:21.
Old 31 Aug 2006, 18:51 (Ref:1698727)   #2
Craig
Race Official
Veteran

Denmark
Craig has a real shot at the championship!Craig has a real shot at the championship!Craig has a real shot at the championship!Craig has a real shot at the championship!Craig has a real shot at the championship!Craig has a real shot at the championship!
Thanks for that info, Mark.

I had heard that before but then I later heard that this wasn't the case with all models. Apparently there was a licence issue with Rothmans and the second batch of models were sent out with stickers applied over the original race decals; not sure how true that is though!
Old 31 Aug 2006, 19:01 (Ref:1698737)   #3
Knowlesy
20KPINAL

Knowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
It is completely true!

You should be able to tell whether your model has Rothmans logos underneath, if unsure it is best not to remove the Racing logos!

Also, some are half finished Rothmans liveries, so you may peel the decals off and only have half a livery. Nightmare!
Old 31 Aug 2006, 21:06 (Ref:1698847)   #4
Marky
Racer

United Kingdom
,Kent
you will be able to see the rothmans under the racing as all it is is a decal over it and you can actually see rothmans under it.
i have heard cerntan batches had them covered up but later ones may have the racing only and no rothmans under it.
but i have done 4 now and all had rothmans.
Old 1 Sep 2006, 15:11 (Ref:1699332)   #5
Craig
Race Official
Veteran

Denmark
Craig has a real shot at the championship!Craig has a real shot at the championship!Craig has a real shot at the championship!Craig has a real shot at the championship!Craig has a real shot at the championship!Craig has a real shot at the championship!
You have 'done 4 now' so perhaps you could suggest the best place to lay my hands on one? Any suggestions as no one seems to stock that model anymore, haven't even seen one at Le Mans utself in the past couple of years

There is one currently listed on eBay but it is in Germany and I'd be apprehensive buying from overseas. Incidently, does anyone here speak German?
Old 4 Sep 2006, 15:28 (Ref:1701618)   #6
Marky
Racer

United Kingdom
,Kent
Quote:
Originally Posted by Craig
You have 'done 4 now' so perhaps you could suggest the best place to lay my hands on one? Any suggestions as no one seems to stock that model anymore, haven't even seen one at Le Mans utself in the past couple of years

There is one currently listed on eBay but it is in Germany and I'd be apprehensive buying from overseas. Incidently, does anyone here speak German?
Hi Graig i brought mine in germany and belguim as i go over there at lot to model shops. as there are some good ones in belgium and pauls model art in archen.
i payed about £40 for each and got decals i neede of ebay cant remmber the bloke but serach for discontinued lines i think it was in.
saw a few at the dortmund model show earler in the year as well
so if you look there are a few about.I also saw original Rothmans one bloke wanted £300 for it which is quite Reasonable for a 1/18
Old 8 Oct 2006, 10:47 (Ref:1731720)   #7
Craig
Race Official
Veteran

Denmark
Well there is a 'Racing' liveried Porsche on eBay currently at a reasonable price. I am a bit nervous about doing it but I am considering buying it and a set of the decals that are also available on eBay... bit scared about making a total arse up of it though
Old 27 Oct 2006, 19:32 (Ref:1751420)   #8
Craig
Race Official
Veteran

Denmark
Right, well I have finally picked one of these models up. The car sports 'Racing' decals but I can quite clearly see the word 'Rothmans' underneath. I'm terrified of attacking the car and making a hash of it though! So if anyone can reassure me I'm good to go ahead and scrape the decals off I'd appreciate it! Also, how did you actually go about removing them? I'd not want to scrape the decal off and realise I have actually gone through both decals!!
Old 27 Oct 2006, 19:39 (Ref:1751431)   #9
Knowlesy
20KPINAL

Knowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
They just peel off I think?

I'm sure I saw a website explaining how to do it, will go have a look.
Old 27 Oct 2006, 19:43 (Ref:1751438)   #10
Knowlesy
20KPINAL

Found some stuff, on a quick search:

1. Some "Racing" decals are very loose and easy to remove just by lifting the sides with a pointed tip tweezer, the whole piece will come off.

2. The decals on the rear spoiler and the side are the easiest to remove since the stuff underneath are tempo printed.

3. The hood/bonnet decal of "Racing" is attached with the crown, but NOT the Porsche badge or the word "Porsche".

4. The crowns are the hardest to remove and if you are impatient, you could chip the decal underneath.

It is recommended to use MICROSET to brush onto the decals to soften them, and then lift the edges with the tweezers after about two minutes.
Old 27 Oct 2006, 19:44 (Ref:1751439)   #11
Craig
Race Official
Veteran

Denmark
I presumed that they would be reasonably simple to remove, and they probably are, but it'd be an expensive mistake to make should I do it wrong

I have tried to take a photo to demonstrate how it appears but it didnt really work, and then my camera ran out of battery. To me it looks like the old decals have been painted over with blue paint and then new decals applied. I'm sure it's not that agricultural but that's how it looks!! So I'd welcome advice from someone who's done the conversion. Thanks for the tip on the website, I'll see what I can find in Google.
Old 27 Oct 2006, 19:46 (Ref:1751441)   #12
Craig
Race Official
Veteran

Denmark
Knowlesy, you are a star. Good lad I will report back when I am brave enough to give it a go!!
Old 27 Oct 2006, 19:47 (Ref:1751442)   #13
Knowlesy
20KPINAL

Well, I found a couple with the same tips as my last post, so that must be the way.

Just take your time when you do it eh?
Old 27 Oct 2006, 19:49 (Ref:1751446)   #14
Craig
Race Official
Veteran

Denmark
I will. And if it doesn't work I'll be in touch ref the compensation
Old 27 Oct 2006, 19:50 (Ref:1751447)   #15
Knowlesy
20KPINAL

And then I'll book my plane tickets to Outer Mongolia.
Old 27 Oct 2006, 20:04 (Ref:1751456)   #16
Knowlesy
20KPINAL

Another note was to make make sure you purchase MICROSET and NOT MICROSOL. Because if you do it will go hideously wrong.
Old 30 Oct 2006, 20:31 (Ref:1753832)   #17
Craig
Race Official
Veteran

Denmark
Right, I have started on this. I actually scratched one sticker off with my thumb nail but then took the rest off by applying sticky tape to the top of the excess decal and gently peeling off. Worked a treat. Unfortunately there was no Rothmans decal on the bonnet but I have ordered a full set of decals including the Rothmans crests from this site so watch for a further update in a week or two when they arrive!
Old 31 Oct 2006, 18:08 (Ref:1754594)   #18
JAG
Veteran

England
JAG should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridJAG should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridJAG should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
If you ever need decals check here:-

http://members.optusnet.com.au/pattosplace/home.html
Old 4 Nov 2006, 18:54 (Ref:1757842)   #19
Craig
Race Official
Veteran

Denmark
Thanks for the tip but they dont seem to do the decals I needed in the correct scale.

As it goes, whilst I await delivery of the decals to apply to the model, I have recently bought a fully-liveried version at a sensible price. So I'm going to finish the conversion and relist it on eBay, with a starting price the same as I paid, will let you know how that goes.
Old 7 Nov 2006, 21:49 (Ref:1760356)   #20
Knowlesy
20KPINAL

Err, you kept that quiet Craig. When did you win the National Lottery jackpot?
Old 12 Nov 2006, 16:34 (Ref:1764303)   #21
Craig
Race Official
Veteran

Denmark
You've got to speculate to accumulate!
Old 18 Feb 2007, 13:33 (Ref:1844332)   #22
Craig
Race Official
Veteran

Denmark
Okay, bringing this one back from the bottom of the list!

I mentioned above that I'd ordered some Rothmans decals for converting the 1983 car. Well, they never arrived and therefore the car was still sat in it's box in my spare room until I decided I really really needed to get the job done and sold on.

So, having acquired a set of decals from eBay, I retrieved the box and sat down to give it a go. I've just this minute finished applying the decals, so it's a little early to declare it a total success, but it wasn't that hard. Just a bit of paitience and care needed.

This is how I did it:

1/ Trimmed each decal carefully from the main sheet
2/ Dipped each decal individually in a bowl of luke warm water for 30 seconds
3/ Slid each decal off its backing and straight into position on the car
4/ Carefully alligned the decal ensuring that it fully covered the decal beneath
5/ Repeated step 2-4 above for each remaining decal

Things I learnt in the process:

1/ Patience.
2/ Patience.
3/ Patience.
4/ It is vital that you carefully trim the decals, ensuring that an absolute minimum of 'clear' decal is left before applying.
5/ Do not remove the decals from the backing sheet until it is about 5mm above the car. I started off peeling them off the sheet until I realised they easily slide sideways off the backing.
6/ If you do manage to get yourself in a mess, such as getting a decals 'doubled-over' ie folded onto itself, don't panic, simply put it back into the water and it will return to the state in which you removed it from the backing sheet.
7/ A bit more patience.

The model is now sat in the airing cupboard so that the decals can dry out. I will let you know how succesful it has been tomorrow!
Old 18 Feb 2007, 16:12 (Ref:1844408)   #23
John Turner
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Pontesbury, Shropshire
John Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by Craig
5/ Do not remove the decals from the backing sheet until it is about 5mm above the car. I started off peeling them off the sheet until I realised they easily slide sideways off the backing.
6/ If you do manage to get yourself in a mess, such as getting a decals 'doubled-over' ie folded onto itself, don't panic, simply put it back into the water and it will return to the state in which you removed it from the backing sheet.
7/ A bit more patience.
5/ Absolutely; get as close as possible. In fact these days, I, more or less, place it on the surface alongside where the decal is to go and slide it straight off and into position.
6/ True, but once unfolded get it out of the water quickly, as you do risk loss of adhesive quality which is not apparent until it dries off and starts to peel up at the edges
7/ Too trye, mate!
Old 18 Feb 2007, 16:25 (Ref:1844419)   #24
Craig
Race Official
Veteran

Denmark
5/ Yep that's pretty much what I ended up doing
6/ Please don't panic me! I gotta get this thing sold and get the money in the bank!!
Old 20 Feb 2007, 22:44 (Ref:1846813)   #25
Craig
Race Official
Veteran

Denmark
Well it all looks really good! I've listed it on eBay this evening, fingers crossed!!