Home  
Site Partners: Veloce Books OldRacingCars.com  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Historic Racing & Motorsport History > Motorsport History > The Driver Files

Old 26 Oct 2001, 21:43 (Ref:1793425)   #1
Felix Muelas
Rookie

Felix Muelas should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Mathieson, Thomas Alastair Sutherland Ogilvy ('TASO')

I´ll tell you who Mathieson is. In this case I´ll use Cyril Posthumus as a source, hope you do not mind

Born in Glasgow in 1908, 'Taso' Mathieson began racing at Brooklands in a one-make Lagonda meeting in 1930, and had his first victory at the track in the Norfolk Senior Mountain Handicap in 1932, driving a blown 2-3-litre OM. He had three other wins in 1932 and 1933 with Bugattis, and set a new Mountain Circuit lap record for 2-litre cars at 72.15mph (116.11 kph). Indifferent health kept him out of racing from 1934, and his Bugatti was driven on several occasions by Chris Staniland. By 1938, however, 'Taso' was back, taking 3rd place at Chimay with a Bugatti Type 57S. He drove at Le Mans in 1938 and 1939, in a 4-litre Talbot with F. E. Clifford in 1938 and a 4-5-litre Talbot with Luigi Chinetti in 1939, but in both events mechanical trouble eliminated them.

After the war 'Taso' became the first Briton to race again on the Continent, acquiring an ex-Birkin 3-litre Maserati which he drove during the 1946 season. In 1950 he bought a 2-litre Le Mans Frazer Nash with which he scored a class victory at Le Mans that year (with Dickie Stoop). In the 1951 Targa Florio he was 3rd in the Frazer Nash when the fan belt broke. He was 2nd at Senigallia and 4th at Oporto, and in 1952 he bought the ex-Baird 2-3-litre Ferrari which he drove to 6th place in the Targa Florio, winning the 3-litre class. In 1953 he drove a 2-litre sports Maserati with which he won his class at Roubaix and Bressuire. His last race was at Brands Hatch in 1955 with a San Remo Maserati, after which he concentrated on writing and building up his magnificent collection of photographs. He is the author of a number of authoritative books, including 'Grand Prix Racing 1906-1914' (of which, by the way, I bough a copy last month at Goodwood at an excellent price!)

Un abrazo

Felix

(Ten-Tenths Note - Source Unverified although accept it as Posthumous; the issue is whether this is a direct quote (copyright?) or in the poster's own words? - JT

Last edited by John Turner; 22 Dec 2006 at 11:12.
Old 30 Dec 2006, 21:54 (Ref:1801963)   #2
D-Type
Veteran

United Kingdom
Coulsdon, Surrey
D-Type should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
He is also the author of my copy of "The Observer's Book of Geology" so I suspect that his day job was as a geologist

btw The writer that Felix is quoting is spelt Cyril Posthumus (Yes, just my spelling error! - JT)

Last edited by John Turner; 31 Dec 2006 at 10:21.

The more you learn, the more you realise how little you know.
Old 31 Dec 2006, 21:04 (Ref:1802493)   #3
Vitesse
Veteran

United Kingdom
Bath, England
Vitesse should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridVitesse should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
(Ten-Tenths Note - Source Unverified although accept it as Posthumous; the issue is whether this is a direct quote (copyright?) or in the poster's own words? - JT
My friend Felix' post is a direct quote from the Georgano Encyclopaedia, contributed by Cyril Posthumus. (Apart from the bit about buying the book - I bought one too!)

TASO was also a contributor, but presumably modesty forbad him from writing his own biography!

Bob Marley
Old 14 Jan 2007, 14:45 (Ref:1814889)   #4
Haine Kane
Rookie

France
near Rouen (normandie) FRANCE
Haine Kane should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vitesse
My friend Felix' post is a direct quote from the Georgano Encyclopaedia, contributed by Cyril Posthumus. (Apart from the bit about buying the book - I bought one too!)

TASO was also a contributor, but presumably modesty forbad him from writing his own biography!
I can give more info about TASO :
b- 25 july 1908 in Glasgow d- 12 october 1991 in Vichy (France)
I suppose that he was in love with France , because a lot of photos about his racing career were take in the french tracks (Caen, Bressuire, Roubaix, Boulogne...)
He write several articles about his racing career in the french magazine "Le Fanauto" during 1979-80.