Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Racing Talk > My Track Designs

Old 23 Jan 2007, 21:43 (Ref:1824104)   #1
ScotsBrutesFan
Race Official
Veteran

Scotland
West Lothian
ScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Extreme

Despite not having all my graphics software on my new computer as yet, (so I apologise for my graphics not being at my usual standard), I present a circuit simply called Extreme.

Why Extreme well within it's 6.5 miles (10.4km), it has 2 bridge sections, one of which crosses over 2 sections of track. Oh and it has 2 tunnels as well.

When sketching it, I was thinking test circuit, but the more I got into it and adjusted a few corners, it began to look race-able, though I don't know which series would be crazy enough to try it.

The darker the green the lower the ground level, the lighter the green the higher. And I've left in ghosts of where the tunnel sections lie beneath everything else. And yes the track really should be the same width all the way around.

So here it is Extreme ....Comments and especially edits welcome.
Attached Thumbnails
extreme.jpg  
Old 23 Jan 2007, 22:02 (Ref:1824113)   #2
formula1fan
Racer

England
China Clay Country, Cornwall
formula1fan should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The two tunnels look VERY interesting, as there would be two times on the lap that you would be racing with no natural light. It's a great track, but F1 probably wouldn't race on it, due to the danger of crashing in the two tunnels. I'm not being critical, as it is a great track.
Old 23 Jan 2007, 22:10 (Ref:1824122)   #3
ScotsBrutesFan
Race Official
Veteran

Scotland
West Lothian
ScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
The Monaco tunnel actually has quite a bend in it, so I don't see why F1 wouldn't be one of many series that could at least try this design with 2 straight tunnels.
Old 24 Jan 2007, 00:11 (Ref:1824235)   #4
chemhead1
Racer

United States
Buying H-doujins in Los Angeles, CA
chemhead1 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScotsBrutesFan
The Monaco tunnel actually has quite a bend in it, so I don't see why F1 wouldn't be one of many series that could at least try this design with 2 straight tunnels.
Yes, but when was the last time anyone saw a full grid of cars battle each other through the Monaco tunnel? A pass or two, sure. But not a large pack at once. That aside, it's a pretty neat track! The length would make it a lot more suitable for 24H endurances and whatnot. Also, the one thing that would bother me is that if there wasn't bright enough lighting in the circuit (and this being a new circuit that's not that likely to happen), a large difference in the light in the tunnel and light outside would blind a driver for a split second before getting their bearings. This would be a problem seeing that you have braking points almost immediately at the end of both tunnels. But like I said, not as much of a problem these days as other circuits with tunnel sections. And seeing that it's a large track with various corners, it looks like it has the possibility of a multitude of layouts with the right connector roads. Oh and I love the one chicane section between the 2 tunnels. It could make for a great spectator spot, seeing that it's essentially in a natural "bowl". Overall, like you said, this would be excellent for a test circuit. I can see FIA-GT and LMS doing endurances (lots of space for multiple classes to spread out, so a lessened danger of lapped traffic), but these days I think F1 would probably want something shorter.
Old 24 Jan 2007, 10:11 (Ref:1824452)   #5
ScotsBrutesFan
Race Official
Veteran

Scotland
West Lothian
The tunnels section is in the final 3rd of the lap so, there would be a chance for the grid to spread themselves out a bit, also the turn before the first tunnel (T14) would likely put the cars into single file as would the chicane for the second tunnel.
The dark into light I don't see as a problem as again to use Monaco as a example it soesn't seem to have an effect.
The only concern I have looking at it now would be as mentioned the braking distances would start inside both tunnels, and so someone pulling out to overtake there is the risk of interlocking tyres in the actual tunnel. Had I more space I'd add a bit more straight after each tunnel before the next corners.

With the elevation changes being quite sheer, it might be difficult to separate it into different layouts.
Old 24 Jan 2007, 19:23 (Ref:1824997)   #6
Yannick
Veteran

Yannick should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Yes, this is extreme, indeed. And at first sight, it looks quite confusing.
I like the wealth of conceptual ideas in there, like the paddock underpass, the fact that there are more than one crossover, and the section between two tunnels that can be viewed from above is truly unique. For spectators, this track should be pretty enjoyable, as you would be able to see different sections of track from almost everywhere around. However, I don't like the flow of the last section, leaving the second tunnel towards the s/f-line. Unfortunately, I don't have any idea right now, how this could be solved. Maybe enlarging the diagram to the lower right would do the trick?
You might also consider enlarging the kinked straight that leads up to the 1st hairpin, to create another, a 3rd overtaking opportunity.
Thanks for posting this beast
Old 24 Jan 2007, 20:11 (Ref:1825045)   #7
Rockmunky
Veteran

England
'artfordshire
Rockmunky should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridRockmunky should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
That's insane, usually crazy trakcs suffer with layout, but this one i like, you could really get moving at a decent pace through some sections