View Single Post
Old 21 Jun 2004, 08:20 (Ref:1010424)   #61
R
Veteran

R should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridR should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Whenever you watch an oval race from the US, the safety crew is there in no time when an accident occurs. Clearly the problem lies with the safety procedures related to the F1 race at Indy, not with the American marshals. Maybe F1 should use the safety crew which travels with the Indy circus for the race at Indianapolis, at least for the oval part of the track? They will be much more experienced in how to deal with oval crashes, eventhough everything will be happening in the opposite direction to what they're used to.

No matter whose fault it was, it is clear that such a response time to a potentially very serious accident is completely unacceptable. I'm glad I didn't watch the race live, and that I knew Ralf wasn't seriously injured when I saw the incident. F1 must upgrade its safety procedures for the US GP well in time before next year's race, or the race should be dropped from the calendar. F1 was very lucky Ralf wasn't seriously injured yesterday, and may not be so lucky next time. Another accident with similarly slow response just can't be allowed to happen.