View Single Post
Old 13 Jul 2005, 19:30 (Ref:1354907)   #17
gfm
Veteran

gfm should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridgfm should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
… have to disagree with that Adam. As evil as comparisons are, if F1 is a high tech entertainment, then MotoGP is the competitor package in the market place.

While we’re on the subject, I’d rather not print this in the Formula One board, but the show I went to see for 2 out of the 3 days at Silverstone was aweful, save perhaps the F1 race cars themselves. The centre paddock area was empty all weekend, you had to have passes to take a close look at the Maserati, Porsche and GP2 cars (so couldn’t - can you believe it, forbidden to look closely at the support race cars and teams - don't the sponsors want it), there was NO atmosphere, the Red Arrows we’ve all seen 50 times. It did not ‘compare’ to Goodwood whatsoever, and the programme just does not engage you at all.

Compare that to a few years back, you had great support races and most pass holders could get to the cars and drivers at least and get caught up in the excitement; there was RACING going on. Wow, there’s a relevation. I think I heard a sidebar in Bernie’s interview complaining of no atmosphere. Absolutely bang on.

Actually, returning to the original thread, I think the really interesting debate is that we are treated to some fantastic World Champions around at the moment – Roger Federer, Lance Armstrong, Rossi Schumacher included. So if the F1 show isn’t ‘amazing’ by comparison, something’s wrong IMHO. It bloody well should be.