View Single Post
Old 19 Jul 2005, 22:29 (Ref:1358899)   #95
runshaw
Veteran

England
Lancashire UK
runshaw should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Haha! I seem to have started an argument about British single seater ch'ships Vs American ch'ships!

[/QUOTE]A lot of good points have been made. In the UK, they are still running the sport like it is 1950. The UK has 60 million people crammed into a space the size of Idaho. There is no excuse for not having crowds of 80,000 at races. Absolutely no excuse.[QUOTE]

I don't think this is true really. For sure, Britain is overpopulated, but why would 80,000 go to UK circuits to watch British F3? Remember that Atlantics supports the PINNACLE of American single-seater racing, so of course loads of people would go to those races because they know about it. But British F3 doesn't support a big series on the TV worldwide so hardly anyone would know about it, therefore there is an excuse as to why it doesn't draw in crowds of 80,000. And also could a circuit such as Oulton Park draw in crowds of 80,000? I was there for the F3 in 2003 and there was a record 16,000 and it was packed! Therefore you can't really compare F3 crowd numbers to Atlantic crowd numbers at all. If F3 were supporting F1 at Silverstone of course there would be 100,000 people there! But it isn't so you can't really expect 80,000 people at a national race meeting like F3.