View Single Post
Old 10 Aug 2005, 17:58 (Ref:1379201)   #26
krt917
Veteran

krt917 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridkrt917 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Yes, I believe he did, though I think the body was by Frank Costin. Anyone know?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glen
Actually, I do think that Rory Byrne and the modern Ferrari team as a whole should be mentioned in this discussion, because they have most successfully advanced the designer's art by means of management - all those resources acting in concert and to maximum effect.
I agree. In modern F1, the whole package is important and Ferrari have been brilliant at combining all the elements required and Byrne deserves his nplace on the list. Didn't Mark Hughes do an article on Newey Vs Byrne earlier this year - they are both around the 100 GP wins mark if I recall correctly.

For pure genius, you have to go with Colin Chapman; innovation after innovation (I think he would have hated the current rules for being too restrictive). However, like many geniuses, he was flawed. His cars did often break, and sometimes they broke un such a manner that meant drivers had big, nasty crashes. That's why I'd go for Gordon Murray. Quite apart from being involved in all those successful Brabahams (Fan car, anyone?) and the McLaren F1, he also made a point of always building a little bit extra safety into each desing. He realised that he had a responsibility not to make a complete death trap AND he managed to desing many successful cars.

Outside of F1, there are quite a few others. Eric Broadley springs to mind as one of the great designers who only really flirted with F1.