View Single Post
Old 27 Aug 2005, 00:40 (Ref:1392256)   #14
Alwaysfirst
Veteran

United Kingdom
The rural idyl.
Alwaysfirst should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The width of the track would be fairly similar to that of Spa. Yes, the speeds would be high but I would not imagine that the T17-T2 run would be fully flat out, especially T1 after the straight. It would not be too dissimilar from T1 at Philip Island although the speed would be slightly higher. However, it would be nowhere near as fast as the Schwedenkreuz and Tiergarten curves at the Nurburgring Nordschleife. I do think that a circuit like this would be ideal for F1 though. I think that there are too few really fast and challenging sections on modern circuits. Yes, there are exceptions (Spa, Silverstone, Monza) but generally more of the corners are low-speed hairpins, chicanes and medium-speed bends. Fast, challenging sections from circuits like the old Spa, the old Interlagos, Bremgarten, the Nordschleife, Pescara, original Monza, original Kyalami and Clermont-Ferrand have simply been lost. These sections are not dangerous. It is the lack of safety features that is. With adequate run-off and safety barriers these corners are as safe as any others. My rant is over but that is why I like to add fast, flowing sections such as T17-T2.

RIP Marco Simoncelli, 1987-2011. 2008 250cc champion