Thread: Motion sickness
View Single Post
Old 28 Mar 2006, 21:17 (Ref:1563737)   #20
Austinspace75
Racer

England
Cardiff
Austinspace75 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
This might be a bit of a silly suggestion, but its possible that you aren't looking far enough up the road to allow your brain to properly assimilate where the horizon is. I get motion sickness when in the back of car or on a bus and find that the cure is to be looking forward at the horizon. Having driven a single seater, I can imagine that if I didn't look far enough up the road, I'd get sick too. I'm no doctor but I do know that for some of us, our sense of balance is much more sensitive to dissoreinting situations than others and needs the maximum amount of information to relax into the situation it is being faced with managing. Problems of this nature all relate to the brains ability to match what its seeing to what its sensing.
Sometimes when on a cross channel ferry in roughish weather, I've felt sick for a while but overcome it simply by forcing my brain to accept whats happening and therefore giving it the confidence to be cool with it!
This fits with those who say that they have just driven through the problem. Also, its quite natural for you now to expect to get sick when you get in the car, therefore you usually do!
I assume that you are a perfectly competent driver, but sometimes that means that you use instinctive techniques to judge your position on the track and see whats coming up. However, the change of perspective (a much lower one) may have thrown that out a little. Try cocking your head at differing angles as you corner in the car and always look as far up the road as you can. Sorry if I'm telling you something you already know!

Best of luck, you'll sort it out one way or another.

Cheers,
Tom.