View Single Post
Old 13 Sep 2006, 07:06 (Ref:1709352)   #53
valet_dave
Rookie

Australia
valet_dave should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I seriously doubt that there are many amateur competitors fitting every available piece of safety gear into their vehicles which "could" save their life. If I ignore the extra weight in a vehicle, I think it’s basically because competitive nature dictates money should be spent on performance before safety, IF the rules let us get away with it. And lets face it, if we aren't winning, then there is ALWAYS more money to spend on performance. The question is, should the rules force competitors to implement an even wider range of safety equipment? Are some competitors not taking their safety seriously enough?

It's too simplistic for any individual to excuse a lack of safety precautions by saying "it's a risk I'm prepared to take". Even if we forget co-drivers & spectators, by default the event organisers and even motorsport community in general share the risk, because they are the ones that are forced to defend the death and deal with the subsequent costs of changes that will inevitably follow.