View Single Post
Old 7 Oct 2006, 11:31 (Ref:1730667)   #2
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by terence bower
Isnt it about time the Organizers of these Historic meetings Spa-etc started to realise that there are many Car Owners /Drivers do not like the current trend of filling up grid slots with cars that are out of period with the rest of the grid?.
The problem comes with a fear of lack of entries. when you and I were talking the other weekend we noted that a few of the regulars were absent. As you said there had been the Eiffel Classic the week before and some people can't afford the time or the cash to do two major events in ten days.

Quote:
The Spa Six Hours,why do they need the Eau Rouge Trophy, surely the grid would be filled to capacity withproper cars of period?.There were more than enough on the reserves list.
Going back to my point above we may be looking at a need to coordinate the calendar so that entries are assured (barring accidents).

Quote:
Gentleman drivers and Top Hat seem to have a secret formula, it provides excellent racing/spectable for all ,the policing of fhe cars in both series cannot be any more difficult than any other,so why allow these hybrids to compete, they are not needed. Im open to any ideas/thoughts that anyone has.
I think there is also another issue Terry,

The mix of cars in the Allcomers races is too extreme and unless there is a concerted effort to separate the sports prototypes from the sports/saloon cars these races will also lose entries.

That said we have to remember that apart from "Oldies but Goldies and the actual Top Hat classes the others "Sebring Salute" and "Groovy Baby" are based on regs defiened by other clubs thus it is difficult to police. Gentleman Drivers and U2TC are based upon App k so again they are easy to police.

I do think that all races should limit entries to cars more than 25 years old. In my case I was removed from the race by an "S" registered Lotus Elise that had been wrongly entered as a Lotus Elite!

So to tyres.

I firmly believe that whilst we should not run slicks or indeed any kind of super sticky tyre there is a good case for running tyres of a similar profile and adhesion to those that the cars ran in period. Let's face it tyre manufacture is more advanced now so any tyre is likely to be better than they ran in period.

Thus as with Top Hat which specifies Dunlop L or M section for pre 1967 and Groups 2 and 5 cars and Dunlop D84 for post 1967 Group 1 cars, I think this should be applied across the board at all levels.

So, to summarise:

All major international events should be coordinated to allow a more "relaxed" calendar and thus assure the organisers of the entries.

Cars/models of less than 25 years old should not be allowed in a "Historic/Classic" event.

Tyre regs should be uniform across the entire spectrum and race organisers should enforce the regs either by excluding those that don't comply or by disqualifying cars from races.

And finally here's an idea to stop those "questionable" V8 engine capacities. Only allow entries for cars of maximum six cylinders and maximum capacity 4 litres.

Last edited by Peter Mallett; 7 Oct 2006 at 11:34.