View Single Post
Old 16 Oct 2006, 20:28 (Ref:1739633)   #24
F360
Racer

F360 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Real DMN
Saleen S7R has it right.

BMS are the works Aston Martin team in all but name (to get around the FIA's rules).

The works cars are slightly better than the privateer cars and Aston only made about 11 works cars (I forget the exact number, but it was stated on Radio Le Mans this year) out of the 25 race cars built in total.
My two penneth - For what its worth !
On the above point, I agree with what you're saying about the "works" issue but......I would venture that maybe BMS need to send the "better" bits back to where they came from and fit the bits that Phoenix have used. The black car (as one of the not-so-slightly-better Astons) has shown how it could and should be run - it's left BMS for dead at the majority of the races this year.
And lets not forget that BMS know how to put together championship winning programmes.

Surely we should try and put aside any arguments about which series/race is best, its largely irrelevant given the differing nature of each type. LNT have patently NOT matched Ecosse in Brit GT's this year - and thats with an Ecosse driver that while much improved by everyones understanding, is not a Mr.Kirkaldy (no disrespect to Mr.Niarchos intended). However, you have to bear in mind the differing factors. Avon tyres for one. "If" for another - what If Ecosse hadn't had the stuck wheel peg at Le Mans ? Who knows, its all conjecture. Safety car timings and punctures for LNT in British GT may have resulted in a few more wins for the Esperante.

We should be grateful that whichever series is someone's favourite, at least now we have some variety with various Ferrari, Panoz, Porsche, BMW etc..
That is until the arrival of the new Porsche next year at least. I for one was bored rigid with the days of the global Porsche challenge.

Its unquestionable IMHO though that a win at Le Mans (class or otherwise) is MUCH more important to the manufacturers. Period.