View Single Post
Old 30 Oct 2006, 16:40 (Ref:1753686)   #10
jkeller
Rookie

jkeller should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I have TOJ F201-3-76, originally sold to Gottlieb Bichteler in April 1976. (this is exactly how the name is spelled in the Wagenpass). Jorg Obermoser tells me that the car was the third F2 car that they built and that chassis 1 and 2 were built for Keke Rosberg. He said that the cars were definitely built in TOJ's workshop in Bruchsal, Germany, not in the UK by Modus or Argo.
The front uprights are dimensionally identical to Modus but have a TOJ logo cast into them rather than the Modus, the rears have Modus on them. From what I understand, all the TOJ sportscars and F2 cars use the same uprights and even a lot of the same suspension components. I have a friend with a SC206 and another with a couple of 3 litre cars; basically all the suspension bits interchange.
Obermoser was the GRD and Modus agent for Germany in the early 1970’s and there was a heavy connection between GRD, Modus and TOJ. Obviously TOJ was getting at least their uprights from Modus until the end of 1976 when Modus shut down. I assume that whoever cast the Modus uprights simply changed the logo and cast them for Obermoser.

Jim Keller