View Single Post
Old 5 Jan 2007, 08:57 (Ref:1806849)   #438
Bob Pearson
Veteran

Bob Pearson should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I am sure that your right Martin regarding the quality of a carbon car versus that of a space frame car. After all, the carbon cars was tatuus's sucessor to the space frame car and it would have been quite detrimental to them to have produced an inferier car as a sucessor. I would love to own/drive one, but I suspect I never will unless I ran it in a single seater formula.
Looking at your comments on engines again, I doubt if there is much in the reliability of both, I have heard of a number of twin cams dropping valves, but I don't know the exact details of what happens. A number of eight valves have broken, but as far as I could see they were attributable to badly fitted oil feed pipes or re-using big-end bolts. My current engine is about to begin its 5th season and all it has had changed are the big end bolts. It seems to get faster each year, which is just as well, as it cancels out me going in the other direction.
I didn't need reminding of those dark days when I was constantly troubled by fuel pressure problems. Incidentally the problem was solved a couple of years ago when I used wires with a different conductor inside the fuel tank.
You trouched on a point a couple of posts ago which I feel quite strongly about as a creeping illness within motorsport as a whole. The questions of one make formulas and monopolised compulsory parts suppliers.
As you rightly said this doesn't affect the driver who does not intend, beit for financial or skill reasons, rebuilding engines, gearboxs, diffs or similar. He will run anyway as he needs a supplier of these services and doesn't really much care who it is.
The people who are affected are the guys who either for financial or enthusistic reasons want to do their own work. They will almost certainly not change and will be forced to go elsewhere.
As the one make formula/monopolised parts supply gets more widespread the less well off/enthusiast type will be forced out of the sport.
At this point in time such a slicks and wings person can still run in BARC Renault club class but is excluded from the championship class, he can also run in mono and F4, but that is about his lot !!
Now the system of monopolised parts supply and one make formulas is always advertised as ensuring a level playing field. But for what reason? there is a perfectly adequate protest system provided by the msa, so that can be used if cheating is suspected. There will never be a level playing field in motorsport, the guy with more money will use it to his advantage somehow, beit with extra testing, employing technical staff from professional teams or maybe better equipment, it cannot be ligislated against.
Unfortunately, the one make formula legislates against the technically competent while leaving the well financed to exploit his advantage

You didn't reply to my PM Martin.