View Single Post
Old 8 Feb 2007, 13:44 (Ref:1836295)   #2
AU N EGL
Veteran

United States
Raleigh, North Carolina
AU N EGL should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridAU N EGL should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by knighty
Can someone tell me what restrictor sizes the Pratt & Miller run corvettes use......I can see that they use two (1 per bank) from the under hood picture that I have - but I havent a clue which size they use - I'm lead to believe its a 7 litre engine - known as the LS7....... I know they have/had the edge over the astons due to 6% bigger restrictors allowed for the 2-valve engines........last I heard was this 6% 2-valve rule was being dumped and the corvettes now have lost the 6% restrictor advantage?......is this correct?

also does anyone know what sort of power the katech built motors are producing in the corvettes?......I'm sure this must be common knowledge in the US grape-vine
Knight the engine is a LS7.r not an LS7. They are two totally differnt engines and not compatable. The LS7.r is an evolution from the C5R racing engine. The LS7 and LS7.r bore and stoke a different to start with, plus many many other items. A LS7 engine runs about $14,000 USD and a LS7.r is about $125,000 USD

LS7.r engine specs: http://www.corvetteracing.com/cars/c...ne_specs.shtml

the LS7.r produced about 590 bhp @ 5400 rpms and 640 ftlbs of tq @ 4400 rpms.

The restrictor size is not easy to find. But IIRC the two restrictors about about 25mm diameter each.

The LS7 thottle body is a single 90 mm with 505 bhp vs the LS7.r has two 25 mm spacers and produces 590 bhp.

Katech guesstimates that with out the restrictors the LS7.r would produce around 900 bhp. They have never tested this as the engine was not designed for this type of use. it is just an educated guess.

Last edited by AU N EGL; 8 Feb 2007 at 13:49.