View Single Post
Old 2 Aug 2007, 08:56 (Ref:1978875)   #7
Greystone
Rookie

Greystone should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Many thanks for taking the time to post your thoughts on this.

No changes have been made to the braking system. It has always felt over servoed. My brother used to share the car when we were sprinting it and he also feels the same about it.

What has changed is since the engine was rebuilt it is producing a lot more power and consequently the car is arriving at the corners a lot quicker. It tends to front end lock up. There is an adjustable pressure limiting valve fitted in the rear brake line which I have progressively backed off. This has shown some benefits. It has the standard set up for a car from the Tomcat race series of AP vented discs (330mm IIRC) and the AP four pot calipers on the front and the standard road car discs and pads on the rear and Mintex race pads all round.

Regarding your specific questions and points:

No changes to the braking system.
The one way valve is in place. (I have a spare I can try).
I have already considered looking at the mechanical advantage at the pedal.
I have a spare servo which I will loook at although I think that it may well be the same.
A harder pad with a lower coefficient of friction might be a cost effective option as it will soon be due for a new set of pads anyway.
I will investigate the possibility of using a less efficient servo from one of the lower spec models.

I am not sure about removing the servo assistance completely as it is a heavy car (almost 1100kgs) and the pedal effort without a servo might be excessive.

Whatever I do I agree with the suggestion that it the setup needs to be finalised away from the race circuit where changes can be made and tested progressively.

Andrew