View Single Post
Old 18 Sep 2007, 19:21 (Ref:2017286)   #27
Jimmy Magnusson
Veteran

Sweden
Jimmy Magnusson should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridJimmy Magnusson should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Right, let's do a tour around single seaters to see who may or may not race.

F3 Euroseries
Kaumi Kobayashi (Japan, 21 yrs) - currently 4th with one win, second year in F3. Isn't he a Toyota developement driver? Anyhow, I'm guessing he'll probably be in GP2 next year. Might as well do GP2 Asia to get some experience.

Basil Shaaban (Lebanon, 27 yrs) - Not that he's got a future, but probably got the money.

British F3 International Series (National Class)
Cong Fu Cheng (China, 23 yrs) - Lots of Formula Renault experience, and have done A1GP, but surely more likely to be in the main BF3 class next year? He does however seem keen to do more than one thing each season, so I guess you never know.

Hamed Al Fardan (Bahrain, 20 yrs) - Formula BMW Asia and Formula V6 Asia experience. In the running for a seat with Meritus perhaps?

Salman Al-Khalifa (Bahrain, 26 yrs) - No, not really.

Formula 3 Asia Pacific
Moreno Soreprapto (Indonesia, 25 yrs) - Been in AF3 for ages, 3rd in the championship this year. Does he have the budget? No idea.

Euroseries 3000
Ananda Mikola (Indonesia, 27 yrs) - He's got the experience but seems to be rooted to A1GP. My guess is that he'll stay there.

Formula Renault V6 Asia
Armaan Ebrahim (India, 18 yrs) - 2nd in the championship. I'm sure some Indian backers will be along to put him in a seat.

International Formula Masters
Tor Graves (Thailand, 35 yrs) - You know, he's done so many almost-GP2 level series that I won't be surprised if he turns up in another one.

Rodolfo Avila (Macau, 20 yrs) - Ah, the not-so-great Avila. Would be surprised to see him turn up, actually.

GP2 Series
Jason Tahinchi (Turkey, 24 yrs) - It is so dumb it might actually happen. Not short of cash, and has done extra events outside of his GP2 schedule before.

World Series by Renault
Fairuz Fauzy (Malaysia, 25 yrs) - If he's planning a return to GP2 he might as well do this, even if he's going to stay in WSR for another year.

To recap:
Kaumi Kobayashi
Basil Shaaban
Hamed Al Fardan
Moreno Soreprapto
Armaan Ebrahim
Tor Graves
Jason Tahinchi
Fairuz Fauzy

As others have said, you're really going to have to look for a long time to find 12 or 13 Asian drivers to fill those seats. Those eight drivers listed above is what I think is possible, but only 4-5 of those feel like they are anywhere near certain.