View Single Post
Old 30 Jun 2000, 06:25 (Ref:20432)   #25
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally posted by skidmark
I had a TVR a few years ago, around the time the Tasmin came out ... I was under the impression that the "Cologne" was just the engine design. The Taimar (which I had) was an "Essex" V6, whilst the Tasmin was a "Cologne" V6.

The Capri 3.0 was an "Essex" V6, and the later 2.8 was a "Cologne" V6 ....

Correct me if I'm wrong !!
The Cologne engine was the 2.8 and later 2.9 V6. So called because it was built in cologne. The Essex V6 was actually designed to fit into the Transit van. It was based on the German V4 engine and built in er, Essex.

The Cologne reference in respect of the Capri was due to the location of the factory where the car was built. Nothing to do with the engine which, as stated previously, was actually an Essex V6 with fuel injection and overhead camshaft. Originally Weslake built an developed this engine as a 3.4 litre fuel injected engine. However Cosworth got involved and built a more successful motor which became known as the GAA.