Old 15 Apr 2008, 16:17 (Ref:2178155)   #34
Rochey
Rookie

Ireland
Dublin
Rochey should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Podd37
I'm with Gordon on this one. Over here entry fees went (and I do stand to be corrected) €350 (all layouts)to €375 and up to €500 on a certain layout of circuit this year. I can no longer justify that to either myself or my better half so this year I have given up racing in Ireland
I agree with all of this, although I'm only new to racing as last year was my first season of motor racing in a Styker. I found the thing that killed me was the entry fees, after spending whatever was required to repair the car and just about managing to put food on the table, the entry form would still need to be completed and credit card put on the bottom to pay for the entry (and not forgetting practice either + €130)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Podd37
It's not all the circuit owners either, but also the extra stuff that racing a car seems to require nowadays what with 'approved' racewear/seats/extinguishers etc etc. While I'm no luddite, 'approved' does seem to mean over-priced and at times unnecessary...eg Rainlights on saloon cars with lights. This year the Time Attack guys are running at various 'normal' race meetings and the interesting thing is that bar an approved helmet and in date belts everything else is free. Yes the car must have a cage buy it can be made by someone themselves under proper guidelines. Race suit is from a list of dates that I am not allowed wear. Hand held ext. Whats the difference between me in my 1300 Fiat and a guy in a 650bhp Subaru? Oh and he won't need to spend silly money renewing thier comp licence either. All he needs is a road licence! And the entry for a similar amoutn of track time? €150!! Nope, can't work it out myself either.....Wonder if ther will be an Historic section anytime soon...
End of Rant.
Don't forget the Hans device needs to be added to the list pretty soon too which aren't cheap.
The time attack does seem like a viable option although to be competitive requires serious cash inputs too as a lot of tuning companies use their time attack cars to showcase their skills and products, some UK companies hire pro drivers too. So I don't know how cheap it would be if you want to win.
The same goes for drifting (where I started), big cash outlay required to be competitive but still more accessable than racing.

I think nowadays racing is for the upper social class, or single people with good credit ratings , I've had to stop after one season as I've become a dad and I too just can't justify the ongoing expenses. Hopefully next season I can get a campaign together but it looks unlikely with the costs.