View Single Post
Old 23 Nov 2008, 21:36 (Ref:2340397)   #41
Clive Brown
Veteran

England
North-west Kent
Clive Brown should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Col

You wouldn't be Dan Rooney's boy by any chance , would you ?

With reference to Pat Mannion ; now , there was a man ! I think he started out in Anglias , but then progressed to Imps . At least one tin-bodied car , then after that I think Brian Cutting's first Maguire car .

He had a mid-engined car using an upright mid-engined Imp motor with a Hewland box built for him , but that was an overweight , ill-handling dog , and he replaced it maybe with BC's second Maguire , but for certain , some time later with one of the Stilettos that Bert Ray built , the first being for former ex-Davrian Modsports standout Bob Jarvis ; it might even have been Bob's car . Regretably , these cars were illegally low , but surprise , surprise , the Scrutineers never did anything about it .

Pat was no great technical man , but could he ever drive the nuts off a car ! In my opinion , his finest outing was in qualifying on one of the rare outings for the Special Saloons around the Brands Grand Prix circuit , before it was ruined so that the so-called Superstars felt safe driving around it . On that day , he was untouchable .

Col , to get a better response to your request for info. on Pat Mannion , you might be better off posting on the dedicated 'Super Saloons and Special Saloons' thread .