View Single Post
Old 9 Feb 2009, 18:49 (Ref:2391874)   #217
Jeremy Hall
Racer

Jeremy Hall should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by FISCracer
Quite right Terry. As I said I don't know of any evidence of an 1800S competing in period but I'm willing to be told differently.

Jeremy, I thought that only about 50 MKIII Granturas were built, roughly 25 with 1600 MGA engines and 25 with 1800 MGB engines. Assuming running an 1800 block in car which originally had a 1600cc engine is acceptable (a bit like running a 302/351 instead of a 289 or a 4.2/4.5 rather than a 3.8) I can't see how bodywork can be free if fewer than 100 cars were produced. If bodywork is free why the issue over Griffith width as long as it is within the homologated 1625mm?

No one said that manufacturers told the truth when they homologated cars, it was not until the seventies when a physical count to make sure started to be undertaken-and there are some stories about that. I do not understand your reference to a homologated width of the car, the bodywork may be a copy of any complete configuration which in itself was not a homologated dimension. So if it has fat arches in a proven International photo from Period F then it can copy that size-in itself unmeasured in period probably.