Old 21 May 2009, 22:21 (Ref:2466783)   #46
helterskelter
Veteran

Guernsey
Italy
helterskelter should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by redshoes View Post
I wasn't suggesting you deliberately run the the test in damp conditions but these things are out of anyone's control. Having the same driver test every car for sufficient laps to make an accurate comparison is going to take all day and it's inevitable that temperature and track conditions will change during that time. It's one more variable and one more reason for people to complain.

It certainly happens in BTCC, and Yvan is a good example of this. Other drivers struggled in the old ST Vectra and 2WD Audi that were developed and set-up around Yvan's unique driving style. More recently Chilton and Neal have been lost in a Vectra built around Gio.

Russian Bears
N-Tech

BMW's sales comes from all over Europe because S2000 is running all over Europe. If you are building a WTCC-only formula you can kiss goodbye to most of that revenue.

Maybe we need to clarify exactly what we are trying to equalise. Are we talking about some minor tweaks to otherwise similar cars (i.e. not dis-similar to what the FIA are trying to do with WTCC currently) or attempting to match 4WD vs RWD vs FWD vs 4-door vs 2-door vs turbo etc.
Well, they do accept this risk in other championships, so why couldn't they in Wtcc?
Well, I think that especially with the Vectra it's more of a question of car understanding, as Fabrizio had more mileage on the Vectra when it came out.
Hang on, Russian Bears and N Technology both started from an existing project. All they did was an update of what they already had. Can't speak for Lada, but I'm well informed about the Accord and I can assure you that they took the 2008 rules, updated the car and did 2 tests in Franciacorta, which is a small track in Italy, and that's it. Quite different from building a car and taking it out on the track against estabilished manufacturers like BMW and SEAT without a serious testing schedule.
I'm not talking about a WTCC only formula, I'm talking about a way to equalize the performances, which is different. The idea would be: developing a car, selling the new kit each year to increase performances and make them more similar to the works teams and that's it, I don't see why BMW should stop selling with the system I'm putting forward.
We are talking about equalizing the existing cars so that the zstupid stuff that is going on at the moment doesn't need to happen