View Single Post
Old 17 Aug 2009, 17:37 (Ref:2523128)   #180
Moosehead
Veteran

Moosehead should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Putting my Spectator hat on Goodwood is far better as the raised grass banks give a commanding view yet you are still very close to the action wheras at Silverstone you always appear to be miles away from the track. Also the wire fencing is a constant pain if you're trying to take photo's.

Having said that the faffing about at GW moving spectators at certain places whilst the air displays are on is extremely frustrating and downright annoying if you put the effort it to arrive early and pick a spot only for someone else to jump in during the (often dangerous) stampede when the ropes are lifted.

Other than that I see no other reason why GW attracts the punters other than the fact that its a lot prettier than Silverstone and the dressing up mlarcky.

Back in the Coys days we had a group of about 25 of us who would attend the meeting from start to finish. The first few years were great but then offialdom started to take hold and year after year we had increasing difficulty getting in, parking, camping etc etc to the point where we gave up as it just wasn't worth the hassle. Went to the Rockingham event but that was a farce from a spectators point of view. Went to last years SC on just 1 day which was ok but just didn't have the atmosphere of the old meetings. Simply couldn't afford to go this year.

I can't comment on GW as I've not competed there but Silverstone always appears to me to be anti clubman and full of busybodies who have no idea what they're doing but seemingly out to make your life a misery.
CSCC Swinging Sixties #128 Red/Black Mustang