View Single Post
Old 9 Sep 2009, 18:57 (Ref:2537240)   #181
Dave Brand
Veteran

England
Hadfield, Derbyshire (UK)
Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by grantp View Post
Another angle and a good point Dave. Does Mallory, as one of the smaller tracks, require as many marshals? Is it more viable from that point of view?
The number of posts to be manned is a factor, although Mallory has 12 posts, more than you'd probably think given the length of the circuit. Even at Mallory marshal numbers can be a problem when there are other meetings locally - too many circuits in the East Midlands!

Quote:
That notwithstanding the main point I was considering was really whether an ageing marshall population with an interest in VSCC type vehicles might ultimately, in the possible absence of younger recruits with the same level of interest, coem to dictate how things were organised and how often events could be run.
I haven't got any data, but I suspect that the average age of marshals is now lower than it was as the result of recent, & continuing, recruitment initiatives. The VSCC has something of a problem, as their marshalling members all seem to have started fairly late in life, so they don't want to do incident duties & don't have the experience to work as Post Chiefs, so VSCC meetings tend to have a surfeit of flaggies. My experience at Oulton & Mallory, the only VSCC meetings I've done this year, is that the younger marshals really enjoy their meetings.