View Single Post
Old 22 Sep 2009, 22:15 (Ref:2546310)   #3
isynge
Veteran

United Kingdom
London, UK
isynge is going for a new world record!isynge is going for a new world record!isynge is going for a new world record!isynge is going for a new world record!isynge is going for a new world record!isynge is going for a new world record!isynge is going for a new world record!isynge is going for a new world record!
Funny, when I saw this thread the immediate thought that came into my head was "Matra" - but then, in a much more budget restricted way, isn't Pescarolo the spiritual heir? At least he's got the blue and white livery and quintessentially Gallic approach. I fear a reborn Matra would be all MBDA black and red, and not quite as charismatic.

Alfa Romeo have been absent for far too long - however they're not really vanished, still being present as a Fiat brand and thus it's not beyond the bounds of possibility to see them coming back.

Mirage always had a lot going for them - and perhaps are akin to an entrant like Creation (2009 notwithstanding), a group of enthusiasts with some engineering ability about them, and an ability to pull off a surprising result.

Interestingly an exercise like this highlights that while names disappear, it maybe doesn't make sense to resurrect them. Walking around the Le Mans museum it's great to see Rondeaus (Rondeaux?) but without the long departed Jean at the helm it would seem asinine to see the name resurrected. Equally when it's been done in the past, BRM springs to mind, it doesn't really do much to continue the heritage of the marque or revisit the glory of the past.

One marque that could legitimately come back with small LMP2 customer cars would be Abarth or, as I'd personally prefer, the more independent successor, Osella. It's a name redolent of some of Group 6's good aspects and Enzo himself always struck me as someone who ran a pretty happy business.

In a more contemporary way though, if we've seen the last of the Courage name, especially as the LC70 base has finally got a win under its belt, I'd be genuinely sad.