View Single Post
Old 10 Dec 2009, 00:08 (Ref:2597024)   #102
R59
Veteran

Heard and McDonald Islands
Bedfordshire
R59 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridR59 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnD View Post
You could find yourself under a flood of requests for advice, R59!

Here's one. "Noise-cancelling" earphones - these are £50http://www.maplin.co.uk/Module.aspx?ModuleNo=221951 but they are available for half that. Are they worth it at that price? Inside a helmet?

John
The issue with those is the shape/size of them. I'd wager that you won't be able to get your hat on without pulling them out, or they'd be damned uncomfortable.

I have Etymotic ER-4's, which were the mutts nutts when I bought them. They are a touch uncomfortable in my GP5 as it's quite tight.

As a dealer in Peltor kit, I now have one of their helmet kits with in-ear transponders (earpieces). They are smaller than the Etymotic jobbies, but not as good in terms of sound quality - but they'll do as I'm not looking for "Radio 4" quality, but good communications clear sound.

Whatever a driver uses, the connection must be easy to pull out. If they've got to get out quick, they don't want to be fiddling with funky connectors. A simple mini-stereo jack is more than enough for receive only.

NASCAR use conventional 1/4" stereo jacks for transmit and receive, where the SCCA/IMSA standard is the NEXUS 4-pole plug which is the way that the big names in the game like Peltor have gone. Stilo do much the same, but for some reason have the plug in the car, and the socket on the hat. Don't like that idea as it potentially allows "live" contacts in a car (even if it's only millivolts). Over here, one supplier has started to use a 5-pole NEXUS plug arrangement.