View Single Post
Old 22 Feb 2010, 20:36 (Ref:2638547)   #16
Purist
Veteran

United States
Wichita, Kansas, USA
Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!
Luggi, I appreciate all that. I just think where it is is about as good as it gets. Mugello has fewer close calls on pit exit than Zandvoort or Brno, which I think give about the closest real world approximations to the potential pit exit scenarios we have here. I would be very interested to see how Mugello goes in the wet, but I don't have a recording of the 2006 FIA GT race there, and am not certain how I can get one at this time.

With the more detailed version I have now, the pit out could provide extra space for someone who runs wide to collect it.

I also figure that there are three redundant measures to keep any pit exit issues to a minimum. First, you have a the driver's spotter, who can radio if there is a problem at pit out while their car is on pit road. Second, there should be a dedicated flag marshal's post near the end of pit wall or at the same relative position on the opposite wall along pit lane. Third, you have the pit light system for closing pit lane when a caution is initially thrown, and for closing pit exit while the cue is going by behind the pace car. This could be augmented to warn of pit exit problems, and have a manual override at the aforementioned marshal's post in cases when a split second, on-the-ground decision is required.

Right now, I'm working on wall placement, and will be getting the pit complex drawn in soon. Here is the latest version.
Attached Files
File Type: skp Montello Park Color.skp (119.8 KB, 16 views)