View Single Post
Old 8 May 2010, 00:16 (Ref:2686328)   #6
mountainstar
Veteran

United States
mountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridmountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridmountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by nomad_n View Post
I was wondering when this would happen. But good on the old promoters for getting the race up and running.

As for the article saying businesses didn't get anything from it - I find that hard to believe, as people have to eat and stay somewhere and the flow on effect goes to other businesses....

If the V8SC promoters do what they've done over in the gold coast, sydney & townsville it'll be one hell of a party...
I agree, I'm sure at a minimum the service and travel industries see revenue from the race.

Hamilton is not exactly a tourist destination. People don't wake up one morning and go "honey I think we'll pack off and head to Hamilton for vacation this year". I've been there a number of times and other than passing through or attending to business(girlfriends, etc), there is no real reason to go there. The race at a minimum brings outside people to Hamilton and also lets people know Hamilton even exists. I can say with 100% certainty that there are Kiwis that have never heard of Hamilton(south island folks mostly).

Not to knock the previous promoters but like a lot of businesses sometimes it's time to move them onwards to someone else to take them to the next level. The V8 Supercar bunch seem to have the grasp on how to get it done, so I expect some changes.

For one thing the track isn't all that hot and isn't much of an entertainment spectacle. I will watch the Hamilton races from this year but will probably forward through them because otherwise it will be a snoozer. Perhaps the track needs a rethink.