View Single Post
Old 11 Aug 2010, 16:59 (Ref:2743113)   #46
JHamilton
Veteran

United States
Atlanta, GA
JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyin Ryan View Post
He said stick and ball, that also includes baseball, basketball, and hockey. If you compare ratings for an individual race to an individual game broadcast nationally from any of those 3 sports, NASCAR and Indianapolis do quite well. And yes, part of the reason for that is because you only have 2 out of the 30 teams competing in the baseball game while every star in NASCAR competes at the same time, but it's not like advertisers or the networks care about that. ESPN doesn't sit and justify a mediocre rating for a Brewers-Dodgers game by saying "well, all the Yankees fans were watching the YES Network".

NASCAR and Indy can't touch Monday Night Football or Sunday Night Football, but little in American sports can.
Semantics. I picked one of the most popular sports. My point is that you can't compare a single race of any type to a single baseball, basketball, hockey, football game. ESPN may not look at it that way, but MLB, NFL, NBA, NHL do. That's why they show these sports regionally. I watch ACC football on ABC. Most of the time I see either GT or FSU play. What are you watching? UNC, NC State, VaTech, etc. We're both watching ACC football and those numbers are what the television contracts are based on. From that standpoint all of the stick and ball, ball and hoop, foot and net, ice and grass sports crush motorsport.