View Single Post
Old 30 Aug 2010, 20:23 (Ref:2752415)   #208
chernaudi
Veteran

United States
Mansfield, Ohio
chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!
I think that Mosport brings up the point that more performance balancing is needed between the GT/LMPC/GTC cars, because all still have the same terminal velocities (Road America proved that, too). For that fact and the pro-am line ups in most, if not all, LMPC and GTC cars, I was surprised that the race was as clean as it was. Combine that with how narrow the track at Mosport is, that fact is all the more surprising.

I bring up the Pug drivers being impatient because of AD's actions at Le Mans (the Porsche curves--similar to the esses at RA--isn't the place to initiate a risky pass because of the narrow track and high speeds, and we gotta remember that Davidson beached his Pug after striking a GT2 Ferrari near the Esses at LM, too), and how many times has Montangney wadded up a car working traffic? He cost himself two good finishes in ALMS races in '08 (Mid Ohio and Road America) because he got impatient in traffic and he nearly cost Peugeot a podium at Spa because he again got impatient in traffic and wrecked the 908.

Davidson I can understand because of inexpeirence, but Audi's new guys didn't have such problems at Spa and Le Mans. And for Montangny, he's been racing LMPs for 10-11 years! Plenty of time to sort out those bugs, but impatience in traffic seems to affect most open wheel drivers.

Oddly, Allan McNish has mostly open wheel experience, but he's considered the absolute master in dealing with traffic effeicently and with a minimum of issues.

So if you think that Mosport was nuts, wait until PLM, where Road Atlanta is almost as fast and narrow as Mosport, but with one in a half times as many cars! It's a deal of risk vs reward, and if you risk too much, you won't get the reward.