View Single Post
Old 25 Sep 2010, 10:42 (Ref:2764337)   #23
Jesper OH
Veteran

Jesper OH should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by chunterer View Post
Am I right in thinking that the RS2000 and Dolly Sprint were one year special exemptions in Australia only, in order to help boost grid sizes in 1985?

I'm pretty sure that both cars homolgation for G1 had expired in 1983 IIRC, so I'm assuming might not have ever been eligible for GrpA officially.
Both cars went out of production during 1980 and according to FIA regulations they had a five year grand on elligebillety (spelling might be off). I have seen British references to a three year rule, but that might have been just a local rule as continental rules were five years. The Brian Chatfield BTCC Capri should be obsolete by 1985 by the British lines, but were still running as late as 1986. These days there's an 8 year warrenty on Group A homologations - which, in practice, only applies to rallying and rallycross.
Their absence in Europe by 1985 might well be explained by the sheer age of these former formidabble cars.

Quote:
Originally Posted by chunterer View Post
With the Holden/Isuzu Gemini were these cars related to the Chevette/Kadett in Europe. I haven't seen any close up shots recently but memory tells me they were very similar?
The Geminis were based on the Opel Kadett C-type (Vauxhall Chevette 1st generation in lack of better describtion) - the last of the rear wheel drive Kadetts - so your memory won't fail on this one. Later edition Isuzu Geminis raced in Japan with front wheel drive and turbo, but against BMW M3 opposition, so nothing great came out of it.

Jesper

Last edited by Jesper OH; 25 Sep 2010 at 10:52. Reason: Wording and better reasoning