View Single Post
Old 1 Oct 2010, 13:29 (Ref:2767743)   #7
brendonwood1
Rookie

Australia
brendonwood1 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The best source of results and information on the New Zealand scene would be the local Motor Action/New Zealand Motoring News newspapers. Unfortunately I was too young to buy these at the time and they only come up for sale rarely.
If any New Zealand forum members have these magazines, it would be great if they could confirm the results of these races.

I'd be interested in acquiring any Motor Action/New Zealand Motoring News newspapers should anyone have them for sale.

Another good source for New Zealand motorsport results is the book New Zealand Motorsport by David McKinney, which was published about 1987. I have a copy of this book in storage at my parents place in NZ. If I ever get a chance I'll pull it out and see what it can add to the results.

I would personally be interested in getting the results of the NZ Production classes in these events as well.
Pretty sure that a Mitsubishi Cordia Turbo won the class all three races, but I can't remember who the drivers were. Competition to the Cordia in the over 2,000cc NZ Production class was from stablemate the Tredia Turbo and the 1600cc Mirage II Turbo.
The 1400cc turbo-charged Mirage I Turbo would have been the quickest car in the 1600-2000cc class.

I know the Cordia Turbo raced in Group E racing in Australia and the Mirage Turbos were raced in a one-make series in Japan. But did the Tredia Turbo race anywhere other than in NZ? Also, did any of these Mitsubishi turbo models race in any other country, in any spec?

Now, as to the Group A cars, here is a summary.

Neville Crichton/Wayne Wilkinson; BMW 635CSi. A new Frank Gardner built car, debuted in this series. Crichton used this car in the ATCC series and the 1985 Bathurst 1000 before it was sold to Archibald Motors for Trevor Crowe to drive.
Photo here: http://www.flickr.com/photos/8021817...7606711071500/

Kent Baigent/Neal Lowe; BMW 635CSi. An ex-Schnitzer car. The Bathurst '85 book suggest that the car was three races old when acquired by Baigent. Used throughout the NZ summer races and the 1985 ATCC and Bathurst 1000 by Baigent. Destroyed in a major crash at Manfield in 1985. The shell or engine may have been used in the Crosby/McMinnon BMW that competed in the 1986 Nissan Mobil series.
Photo here: http://www.flickr.com/photos/8021817...7606711071500/

Denis Hulme/Ray Smith; Holden Commodore VH SS. This car was the 1983 Pukekohe 6 hour winning car. Originally built as a production saloon, it was upgraded to somewhere close to Group A specs for the 1984 series. May have raced in some rounds of the 1985 New Zealand Touring Car Championship, but I have no idea what happened to it after this. May have been turned back into a road car. Photo of the car here: http://www.flickr.com/photos/8021817...7606711071500/

Bruce Fowler/Kirk Stoneman; Holden Commodore VH SS. This car was the ex-Neville Crichton 1983 B&H series winning car, upgraded to Group A specs for the 1984 series. The team did well in the series, but I don't think the car was raced again after Pukekohe. Like some other former NZ production and touring car races, it may have be converted back to a road car.

Bruce Anderson/Wayne Anderson/Dick Johnson; Ford Fairmont XE 5.8 V8. I believe this car was built in 1983 and ran initially in the 1983/84 New Zealand Touring Car Championship, before being upgraded to Group A specs for the Benson & Hedges series. Was probably the most powerful car in the series, but suffered from problems with standard brakes and axles. Raced by Bruce Anderson in the 1984/85 NZ Touring Car Championship and by Bruce Anderson/Dick Johnson in the Nissan Sport Series in January 1985.
May have raced a few times in late 1985 alongside the Pinepac Mustangs. Eventually sold and returned to a road car in the mid-late 80s. Eventually stolen around 2003. The post-Anderson story of the car is described in this post:http://tentenths.com/forum/showthrea...on#post2367393
A picture of the car here: http://tentenths.com/forum/showthrea...on#post2365394
Wonder if the car is still around? Altough I guess the said low lifes broke it up.
In its own way a significant car in NZ Touring Car history.

Robbie Francevic/John Morton; Ford Falcon XE V8. I suspect this was a new car built for this series. I have a vague memory that it ran the 4.9-litre V8 (302 cu inch) so that it could run at the lower sub-5,000 cc weight limit. This needs confirmation though. Didn't race again after the B&H series. Wouldn't be surprised if it was turned back into a road car.
Picture of the Francevic/Morton Falcon here:http://tentenths.com/forum/showthrea...on#post2382061

Dave McMillan/Gary Pedersen; Fiat Ritmo Abarth 130TC. Not sure if this was a new car or one imported from Europe. However, it proved surprisingly quick. Raced by the team in the B&H series and I think they also raced it in the Nissan Series in early January. Must the be same car used by Barry/Heyer in later years.

Paul Adams/Allan Woolf: Toyota Corolla AE86 GT. Paul Adams did a lot of rallying, so this car may have debuted earlier in the year during the New Zealand rally season. The B&H series would have been its first circuit racing appearance. Not sure if it was a TOM's built car or a locally built car. Had a very successful career in NZ, with a podium finish in the 1985 Pukekohe 6-hour race. Was probably raced in every season that Group A racing was conducted. Given the red colour scheme was similar to that of the Drinkrow brothers Corolla, this may have been the car that the Drinkrows raced for many seasons. As far as I know it never raced outside NZ. Would be interesting to get a complete history of this car. Lots of AE86 Group A Corollas survived, so this car may still be around. Anyone know?

Leo Leonard/Garry Sprague; Nissan 300ZX Turbo. Brand new car. Raced in the opening round and in a few of the NZ Touring Car Championship races. Unknown what happened to it after January 1985. Also, anyone have a picture of it?

I don't think there were any other Group A cars in the series, but this needs to be confirmed.
I remember that the Trevor McLean Commodore VH SS ran at Pukekohe, but it may have raced in production spec rather than Group A spec.
Also, the McGregor/Heyer VW Golf GTi may have raced at Pukekohe.

If anyone can confirm if any other Group A cars raced in the series I'd be keen to hear.

Last edited by brendonwood1; 1 Oct 2010 at 13:48.