View Single Post
Old 5 Oct 2010, 21:37 (Ref:2769994)   #266
JAG
Veteran

England
JAG should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridJAG should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridJAG should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by TF110 View Post
Yeah, I think they're interested in GT1 because of the fact that Nissan has the GTR in there as well. GTE in LMS or LeMans is good, but how many races will it see? Is there more racing in LMS or GT1? I know there might be more of an audience for LMS or LeMans, but GT1 might grow to be pretty popular, and since Toyota officials have been in attendance at a few of the past races in GT1, I think it speaks that they're interested. Although they were involved with future regs of LeMans also, weren't they?
When you look at the racing, fan appeal and media interest surrounding the GT2 battle at Petit Le Mans and expand that to Sebring, Le Mans, Spa, Silverstone, China etc. I'm not sure GT1 stacks up all that well.

A company like Toyota will also factor in the use of hybrid technology and alternative fuels when considering what kind of GT car they want to respresent the brand.

Like it or not a few years down the line it may be frowned upon to campaign big engined racing cars with no consideration for green technology. Much as we love them the V12 Murcielago looks like a dinosaur from a bygone era when put up against the Porsche hybrid or E85 Corvette.

The fact I am reelling off terms like E85 show how the marketing speak sinks in after a while!

This applies equally to Nissan who I think it's fair to say rather misjudged the GT landscape when they gave the green light to the GT1 GT-R..............or perhaps they simply saw an opportunity to build a low budget parts bin special?

Last edited by JAG; 5 Oct 2010 at 21:46.