Old 4 Nov 2010, 11:53 (Ref:2784858)   #47
warweezil
Racer

England
Half way up on the left - far from Home
warweezil should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by numbersix View Post
The point about being loyal to a series, as distinct to a circuit is interesting because with the exception of the BMMC, race clubs have their own marshals. I would expect fee-paying member-marshals of a particular club, to be 'favourably considered' for any club event (irrespective of the circuit) before non-member marshals, in the same way as officials of that club. But even then I would have to give way to non-member marshals who are better qualified for that position.
So now as well as paying for all our kit we would be expected to pay an "entry fee" top be considered for a particular event visiting a circuit that we may support week in week out with events that others see as being "below them" to cover? I had to drop membership of everything this year, my income fell and everything went up. So I guess as a now "non-member" Marshal with travel problems arising from responsibilities for 2 sick family members, living way out on the coast with only 1 race circuit within daily commute (cant count Llandow for racing although I try to do sprints there now - and the roads to Anglesey don't allow for a daily commute) Id be well screwed according to many of the criteria suggested here. Sad as it may sound I cant afford to throw money at club membership.

But yet I have too often been part of a small group who are told by the chief at morning briefing " Glad to see that our hardcore have turned out again today, we really would be in trouble without people like you", yes I am one of those that will turn out even for events that hold little interest for me (in terms of the series/championship/grid size), but I realise that sometimes the pickings will be very thin, but if the clubs will pay for the circuit.. well its up to some of us to get out there spread as thinly as we often are - and help the venue "pay the rent", because there are many weekends in a year, but the "prestige" stuff only comes round occasionally. For me its about a love of Motorsport. Its nice when a club brings some Marshals with it, but often we just have to spread ourselves out and do the best we can with what we have, but you know what? some of the best weekends I have had on the bank have been those weekends where there has been a marked lack of Orange on the posts.

I think there should be an F1 type selection requirement based on attendance at some of the more modest events, but some consideration for the guys n girls who keep the place ticking over for the less fashionable events, including those miserable - "1 to an occasional post" test days that I try hard to cover wherever possible. As inconvenient as it may seem to some, those who regularly support the venue are of at least equal value and the nomadic variety, and the view that venues are likely to suffer a fall in support for the modest series if "regulars" are pushed out of the bigger events is very valid. This doesn't affect me much.. The day it does - you bet I will treat the venue the way it treats me - picking and choosing what I do rather than covering pretty much everything I am asked to (although I dropped a couple this year - unavoidably) Some places might just not be there without the people who cover the mundane stuff week in week out... it pays the rent! No venue.. nowhere to visit for the "Superstar Championship".

BSB is different thing - I have recently dipped my toe in the water of bikes having had a miserable first experience of them - now I have found a decent club to lend some support to, I will turn out for them, but from talking to people, many car marshals dont/wont do bikes so it maybe isn't so relevant to this discussion - especially as to follow the circus you would have to be a Racesafe member, AFAIK there is no similar requirement for any car series/championship, and if that starts to be the case we will risk driving some away from the sport.

So no doubt having annoyed a few people with an opposing view, I will point out that this is -
Just My Opinion.... YMMV

Last edited by warweezil; 4 Nov 2010 at 12:18. Reason: attack of stupid fingers