View Single Post
Old 22 Mar 2011, 19:44 (Ref:2851442)   #134
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Attleborough- 5 minutes from Snet!
Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gungebucket View Post
Here goes a few memories of the BD aluminium blocks. Hart did indeed make his own blocks, they had "chromard" liners at 90 mm bore. There were problems with the early blocks where the liners had a habit of sliding down the parent bore! Around 1972 Hart was making blocks for Ford. I don't know who did the castings but they were all machined by "The modern precision tool company" in Danbury Essex. I was working for John Lievesley in Brentwood at the time and I had to pressure-test all the blocks, both the waterways and the oilways. Once tested I had to stamp the block to show that it had been tested. Hart and Lievesley were very close and had worked together at Cosworth in the early years. John used to do all the valve gear for Brian Hart and did a lot of design work on Brian's projects. I wonder if I still have that stamp somewhere? D
Excellent stuff. Thanks for passing the info on and hope you find that stamp! Apparantly Keith Duckworth was impressed by the way Hart got round the problem of liners moving by hard-chroming the bores instead.

From what you have said sounds likely the 2 litre Alloy block Ford were selling through their RS Parts division in 1973 was Hart supplied. Paul, does the parts book list different cylinder heads as well as blocks?