View Single Post
Old 28 Jul 2011, 00:14 (Ref:2931973)   #212
davehenrie
Racer

United States
Post Falls Idaho(up in the Skinny part)
davehenrie should be qualifying in the top 10 on the griddavehenrie should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The Delta Wing reminds me of the Granitelli Turbine Indy cars back in the late 60's. The Indy 500 was an open race, you could bring just about anything, until the old guard complained and they would ban the tech. But you at least got to try it.
The biggest weakness in the current Indy league format, is the Vanilla/Spec racer. Many may not remember, there were something like 3 irl chassis and several engine suppliers. One by one the big teams began eliminate the barely slower lesser chassis until only the Dallara was left standing. So even without a Spec design, the irl BECAME a spec class. The new tubs will cause some novelty for a year or two, but just like Grand Am, one chassis will rise above the rest.....
So what is the DeltaWing? It is just an attempt to find a different way to reach the start/finish line. I'm sure old Front Engine Novi fans were just as appalled by the Jet Engine on the side that Andy Granetelli brought. I wonder if the internet was around back in the 60's if we would be crucifying Jim Hall for having floppy wings and snow-mobile powered cars.(I know...) Different isn't always better, but 'sometimes' it can be.

dh