View Single Post
Old 2 Sep 2011, 14:59 (Ref:2949921)   #9
gfm
Veteran

gfm should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridgfm should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigpentti View Post
hello everyone, i am trying to trace the year and other drivers of a mazda rx7 which spun and caught fire in i think the chicane before the start finish straight. my mate willie rutherford was driving it when the fire happened,if i remember the story correctly the car had just come out of the pits after being refueled but the fuel tank cap was loose? and willie spun when the fuel got on the rear tyres,then the car exploded into a fire ball as the fuel ignited,i think it also hit the barrier in the spin. any one with a memory, photo,etc i would be most gratefull yours bigpentti
I was a co-driver with Rutherford in that car that race. I was racing for Walkinshaw in the Win Percy Mazda team and they suggested I help out with the chores that day. I remember Rutherford's shunt which turned spectacular: circuit drivers well impressed by rally drivers (for leaving it so late in the day ?) ... we were never going to win anything on speed. Outlasting the field was our only hope ...
I don't recall who else was in the car. The owner, one other, Willie and me; silver RX7; not fast but fun. 'Mind the tips'. Seems a lifetime ago now