View Single Post
Old 13 Sep 2011, 20:43 (Ref:2955137)   #90
Fogelhund
Veteran

Canada
Binbrook, ON Canada
Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by JAG View Post
The ALMS has provided ten years of great sportscar racing, the ACO have eighty years experience running the biggest race in the world, that to me is the kind of relationship you don't give up lightly.
Ok, so experience means they do a great job? ACO/FIA have collectively screwed this up as many times as everyone else has, and they are doing it again. When you end up in an abusive relationship, that no longer works for you, you end it.

Quote:
Series of all shapes and forms have looked winners in the planning stages, I'd be all for an independant ALMS if I believed it would succeed. It would be a shame to turn their backs on such a productive relationship (for both parties), the ALMS already have
freedom to tailor regs to their own needs afterall it was their call to bring in LMPC, GTC and turn away the R8.
It no longer is productive to the ALMS, it is counterproductive.

------------------------------------------

Re; ALMS dropping P1....

While P1 isn't strong, at least there are some cars, and the participants want to compete for overall race wins at ALL ALMS races. That doesn't sound like moving to P2 is what the entrants want.

-------------------------------------------

Breaking it down, exactly what is the draw of WEC?

It is simply Peugeot vs. Audi.... that's really it, and more field filler.

A couple of relatively quiet cars, with some great marketing behind them, creating hype. A four car race.

--------------------------------------------

This year in the ALMS, even with anemic fields, I think we've actually had closer finishes on average, and at least equal racing. Mazda vs Aston.. not quite the cache, but then it hasn't had the marketing either.

Open up the restrictors, make them the fastest sportscars in the world, open up the engine rules, keep the loud, fast and exciting. Great for marketing. Open up GTC, maybe even share GTC rules with Grand Am. Do more enduros.

Do a couple of combined events with Grand Am even... invite them to Sebring to run the 12. Do a combined, but seperate race at Watkins Glen.